Tape Rule

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

vaultgirl1028
PV Nerd

Tape Rule

Unread postby vaultgirl1028 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:22 pm

Are you not allowed to tape your pole downwards because it makes your grip better? i was told tat and had to totally retape y pole real quick.
PR: 12'
I believe i can fly.....?

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Urban Myth

Unread postby Decamouse » Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:35 pm

That is not what the Rule says - even though some enforce it that way - the rule says "Not more than two layers of adhesive tape of uniform thickness". If you tap downwards and the edge rolls up when you vault - it then is an illegal tape job and would have to be re-taped :yes:
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:45 pm

It used to be an NCAA requirement to tape it that way. Many of us officials recommend it still be done that way at all levels just to save you the time and aggravation in having to retape your pole(s) in follow on meets.
Until the rule is changed, if there are rolled downs and prominent ridges, that pole will not be permitted assuming an official actually checks the poles.

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:39 pm

vaultref-
while weve got you here on the tape issue ive got a question

what is the rationale behind this rule? is there actually a reason for it? just curious.

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:51 pm

i think i remember reading something on this somewhere on the forum...

something about people making large ridges so their hands wouldn't slide down the pole...
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

vaultgirl1028
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaultgirl1028 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:03 pm

the person who made me retape mine said it can give you an advantage over the other vaulters bc you have a better grip or something gay like that

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:15 pm

hmm, weird he says that because then chalk and sticky grip would have rules against them also. The reason that i remember hearing is that the chinese used to make huge bunches of tape on their poles (way back when) and they would come stick them in the ground (like i said, way back when) and they would balance and climb up them. i'm not sure to the validity of this, but just what i have been told.
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:33 pm

wacky274 wrote:hmm, weird he says that because then chalk and sticky grip would have rules against them also. The reason that i remember hearing is that the chinese used to make huge bunches of tape on their poles (way back when) and they would come stick them in the ground (like i said, way back when) and they would balance and climb up them. i'm not sure to the validity of this, but just what i have been told.

There is an actual rule against climbing the pole now.

blazerunner121
PV Pro

Unread postby blazerunner121 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:40 pm

vaultgirl1028 wrote:the person who made me retape mine said it can give you an advantage over the other vaulters bc you have a better grip or something gay like that

i've actaully once taped my pole wrong for a whole season and the tape would role down. but around here, the tape rule isn't strictly enforced.

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:26 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
wacky274 wrote:hmm, weird he says that because then chalk and sticky grip would have rules against them also. The reason that i remember hearing is that the chinese used to make huge bunches of tape on their poles (way back when) and they would come stick them in the ground (like i said, way back when) and they would balance and climb up them. i'm not sure to the validity of this, but just what i have been told.

There is an actual rule against climbing the pole now.

You referring to the rule about moving your top hand above your bottom after takeoff?
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:50 pm

wacky274 wrote:You referring to the rule about moving your top hand above your bottom after takeoff?

Yup

vaultgirl1028
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaultgirl1028 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:57 pm

do people actually move their hands like that when vaulting

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”