Do you not use tape?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Do you not use tape?

Unread postby das_1971 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:41 am

This seems like a dumb question, but seriously, did/does anyone not use tape on their pole. Quick story...
Back in high school, the skin on my hands was always peeling during season. For one reason or another, I figured it was a chemical in the good ol J&J medical tape we were using, so I just decided to go without. Now for referrence, I was 5'10-5'11 and weighted about a buck 45 (this is all senior year). The longest pole I remember using was a 16' 160 spirit, held over 15', but not often. The heaviest was a pacer carbon 15' 180 (can't remember flex... it broke, got the end somewhere.) I ran something like 5 to 6 lefts and was slow as cold molasses. We marked the hand height with a sharpee ^^ anywho, the next year in college, I never did like the feel of the carbons, and ended up going back to tape and chalk(they seemed to small if I remember right). Fast fowards a few years and my hands had gotten so bad (from a number of reasons), and I finished out using reversed tape and not being able to feel the pole in my hands when I ran.
Now adays I can't feel anything and sometimes it hurts to use a fork, but beside that, I always remember it feeling so much more comfortable using no tape and just the glass and the pole wrap. I was woundering anyone elses thoughts and opinions?
Ow

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Re: Do you not use tape?

Unread postby fishman4god » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:02 am

I have seen several (more than 10) vaulters vaulting on bare poles. Some use chalk and some use sticky spray and some just grabbed it. That was this year and there were some pretty decent open vaulters (over 17') doing just that....................bare pole. Interesting for sure.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”