Long Jump Spikes for Pole Vault?

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

ajchaisson12
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'0
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Long Jump Spikes for Pole Vault?

Unread postby ajchaisson12 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:46 pm

I'm a senior in high school who is looking for a more specific jumping spike, as I have come to find that sprint spikes give me serious shin splints. I know that the best option would probably be to buy the Nike PV 2's since my primary event is obviously pole vault, but I also get thrown into Triple Jump and Long jump to scrap points. If I were to buy the Nike Zoom Long jump 3's, would it still give me shin splints when i work on pole vault like a sprint spike would? The descriptions on all the websites say that they are for "the serious long jumper and pole vaulter," but I'm 100% skeptical. I'm wondering if anyone has any first-hand experience before I put some money into them.

Also, if I were to buy the Nike PV 2's, would it be wise to use them in Long and Triple?

Any advice is appreciated, Thanks!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Long Jump Spikes for Pole Vault?

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:50 am

Long jump and pole vault spikes are generally the same thing. If anything, the Nike LJ spikes are probably a little more supportive than the PV2 spikes, so you might be slightly less likely get shin splints than using the PV2s.

LJ/TJ spikes are perfect for PV. If you can try them on in a store, just see what feels best.

ajchaisson12
PV Newbie
Expertise: High school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'0
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby ajchaisson12 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:03 am

thanks a bunch!

xjoeyx
PV Whiz
Expertise: Current College Vaulter, BIG FAN
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson, Jeff Hartwig

Unread postby xjoeyx » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:20 pm

I use the adidas LJ/PV spikes http://www.firsttothefinish.com/ItemMat ... trixType=1 and they work for both lj and pv! they will more than likely work for tj too. Plus the collar around the laces keeps sand out :yes:
"You can have confidence without success but you can't have success without confidence"

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:27 am

Beware that some of the long jump spikes have a heel that is lower than the spike plate. You have to be in really really good shape to survive using those for any period of time. I prefer some of the triple jump spikes because the heel tends to be neutral with respect to the spike plate and some of them are just more stable.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”