Weight rule and its frustrations!!!

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Weight rule and its frustrations!!!

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:24 pm

Answers that might add to your frustration sorry! :mad:
But also some answers that will help you.
:idea:

[color=blue][b]Since the beginning of fiberglass poles the weight rating is what THE MANUFACTURER SAYS IS SAFE FOR THAT POLE WITHIN THE GRIP AREA.

We build the pole to fit that grip area no more & no less.

When you hold down on the pole it is as a rule of thumb about 1.2 lbs per variance per inch in the grip area defined on our pole as 3â€Â

vaultdad
PV Whiz
Expertise: An Official
Favorite Vaulter: Jillian Schwartz!

Unread postby vaultdad » Fri Sep 26, 2003 11:42 am

No,

Dub didn't say steal the poles . . .He said stick up the appropriate number of convenience stores until you can afford new poles.

Just thinking out loud, but even though most prisons have weight training areas, I'm pretty sure they're not gonna let you bring your poles in inside the fence to practice with until your sentence is up. ;)

By the way Dub, which color bar on 7-11's doors does your height match up with? :P
Vaulting Incognito "I saw those tubes on your truck, and I thought you were a plumber . . ."

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast

I sold vaulting poles to a prison once

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:02 pm

I sold vaulting poles to a prison once
When I was with PORTaPIT we won a bid for 4 vaulting poles shipped to a Nevada Prison?????. They were 14' and 15' poles. I wonder how high the walls were? Never got a reorder!!!

I am sure it was a country club prison though. :dazed:

dubjones
PV Nerd

7-11

Unread postby dubjones » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:17 pm

Which color bar? I don't exaclty match up with those, but at my height I can look through the keyhole, and easily purchase items from the bottom shelf.
Dub

dorseygirl28
PV Beginner

Unread postby dorseygirl28 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:22 pm

i think there is a difference between a begininer pole vaulter and a elite pole vaulter.........a begininer sometimes can't get on a pole the size of his or her weight, but if there are pole vaulters that have been vaulting and are over the weight of there poles and they can get on biggers poles then they should for there safety. Also you have to think about the safety of the younger athletes that can't get on the pole that is for there weght. It would reject them just as quick as breaking a pole or hurting themselves.
pv hardcore

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast

Suggestion

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:09 pm

dorseygirl28 wrote:i think there is a difference between a begininer pole vaulter and a elite pole vaulter.........a begininer sometimes can't get on a pole the size of his or her weight, but if there are pole vaulters that have been vaulting and are over the weight of there poles and they can get on biggers poles then they should for there safety. Also you have to think about the safety of the younger athletes that can't get on the pole that is for there weght. It would reject them just as quick as breaking a pole or hurting themselves.

[color=brown][b]In the past this has been the case when one brand was very stiff and they created a new chart and relabeled some of their older poles. I saw some 110 test poles that were relabeled 130 140. SO this has caused a problem.
And some 130's that were today 150's

Another problem is young vaulters buy too long of a pole and a shorter pole would be softer and easier to bend.
Did you know that a 13-135 is the same feel in the initial bending as 12’4â€Â

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”