New Pole for me

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

Adam00
PV Newbie

New Pole for me

Unread postby Adam00 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Now I know everyone wonders about what kinda pole they're going to get so I thought I'd ask the experienced for the answer. I currently weigh 150lbs and 6' tall. I vaulted on close to 5 different poles this year. The 3 poles I did my best with are all 170's. A UCS 13' 7" 170lbs with a flex rating of 18.2 , which I felt very comfortable on but only vaulted on for less than 2 hours. A Cata-Pole 13' 6" 170 flex rating supposedly 15.2 but wasn't able to return the energy quick enough. Finally a Skypole (really old) 13' 6" 170 flex rating unknown ( prolly between 16-19 )which I vaulted on for a majority of the season. I feel very comfortable on the Skypole but I would like to move up in pole length/weight since the skypole is really old and im getting heavier,faster,and better all around. I also jumped on a 170lbs 14' UCS spirit with a flex rating of 16.1 or 16.2 , how ever I did not like the difference in the poles weight or return and am not to comfortable with the new UCS poles so Id like to get something in the Pacer FX to Pacer Carbon range. Now Id like to get a 14'6" or a 14' however im very indecisive about what weight/flex rating. I am not getting this pole right away me and my coaches are going to have me vault an indoor season on a couple different poles till I get comfortable but once indoor is over we're going to make a decision. I was wondering on vaulters experience what pole would you recommend me to get and try during indoor in order to help me make my decision and feel freee to mention any pole weight or length you feel will help me the most.
When its a tie, the only way to settle it is... RAP BATTLE!

drew
PV Beginner
Expertise: Volunteer High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Sergey Bubka

Re: New Pole for me

Unread postby drew » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:27 am

I would keep away from carbons until you are at least up to the 15' models and jumping at that. But I would generally move up in weight before I moved up in length.

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”