Training Shoe

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Training Shoe

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri May 30, 2008 8:02 pm

What does everyone reccomend as the best shoe to train in... like running sprints and such.

Just trying to get some opinions on whats best. I used to just use a distance style assic because it is what i used for cross country.. didnt know if anyone thought something would be better. Whats best on legs and you see less problems like shin splints?

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Sat May 31, 2008 2:01 am

I use Saucony's that I get from Di ck Sporting Goods and absolutely love them... have 3 pair... haha!!
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat May 31, 2008 3:59 am

BethelPV wrote:I use Saucony's that I get from Di ck Sporting Goods and absolutely love them... have 3 pair... haha!!

Haha way to get around my word filter ;)

g00eY
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter

Unread postby g00eY » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:47 pm

I used to wear Asics Kayanos when I ran distance for cross country and track, but now that I'm focusing on shorter runs and pole vaulting, I ordered myself a pair of Asics DS Trainers. If you like Asics you should definitely give these a try... I'm glad I did.

Word of advice if you end up ordering online: I wear a size 8.5 Kayano but I had to order a size 9 DS Trainer.
PR - 13'0"

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:51 am

Sadly, I know this is not the answer you want to hear, but it depends a lot on your stride, the type of training, and how your foot interacts with the ground. Training is the easy one, power/sprint. The rest take a bit more work. Usually track and field news magazine has an annual shoe review (although the magazine is not cheap).

For people with shin splint concerns, I know many people have been happy with Adidas Supernova Cusion.

If you over invert your foot (run on the outside of your foot) like me, I really like Nike's Structure.

The new Under Armor shoes for straight ahead speed have me a bit intrigued however... has anyone tried them out yet?

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”