Stick It includes gymnast turned vaulter Andreé Pickens!!

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Stick It includes gymnast turned vaulter Andreé Pickens!!

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:48 pm

April 28th is when it comes out in Theatres, I can't wait!!

You can download the trailer at http://stickit.movies.go.com/

To see Andreé's bio on the website, go to bios, then scroll to the left on the pictures. Dree is the second from the left. Click on her picture to read the bio.

PVMD2B
PV Fan

Unread postby PVMD2B » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:50 pm

Awesome!
I just watched the trailer and it looks like
a great movie! Finally a new gymnastics movie
for all us ex- gym-rats! ;)

Congrats Andree'!!
Can't wait to see it.
Laura

pvchick
PV Nerd
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'10.5

Unread postby pvchick » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 am

thats pretty awesome! im a gymnast.i cant wait to go see the movie.but of course i have a huge track meet friday.so i have to wait till saturday.oh well.

i was actually going to try out for the movie, cuz they needed gymnasts, but they ended up taking mostly college gymnasts.so it wouldnt have mattered anyways, they prolly would have sed i was too young.lol

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:37 pm

pvchick wrote:thats pretty awesome! im a gymnast.i cant wait to go see the movie.but of course i have a huge track meet friday.so i have to wait till saturday.oh well.

i was actually going to try out for the movie, cuz they needed gymnasts, but they ended up taking mostly college gymnasts.so it wouldnt have mattered anyways, they prolly would have sed i was too young.lol

There was a really good article in International Gymnast about this:

These are bits and pieces from a lengthy article in the April 2006 issue of International Gymnast on the making of Stick It, a fictional gymnastics movie which will be out in theatres soon.

They ran into trouble trying to cast the movie between the NCAA and the SAG.

According to NCAA rules, anybody who used gymnastics ability on film would risk losing their eligibility to compete in gymnastics in college. This rule applied to all gymnasts, from those with speaking lines to beginners doing cartwheels in the background. The NCAA was staunch, and the amount of pay didn't matter; anyone who accepted even one dollar would be considered professional, and professionals are not allowed to compete in college sports.

Many gymnasts volunteered to work for free, and the NCAA was OK with that, but there the filmmakers ran into their next hurdle:

Cue the Screen Actors Guild, the labor Union for professional actors. Its rules were just as strict: nobody would work for free in a Disney film. All players must receive a minimum wage set forth by the Guild.

The film's writer made the argument that the NCAA should make an exception for gymnasts because they don't have a professional league for gymnasts.

"It was so disheartening because it was a common sense argument, and really an argument from the heart. It was so disheartening to have people respond with the brutality of a rule they didn't make and they don't even agree with necessarilty, but just that blanket no. It's just wrong. It's what the movie is about, and hopefully people will be inspired to stand up against that kind of thing." [quote from Jessica Bendinger, the writer]

They ended up using gymnasts who were just finished with their NCAA eligibility and international gymnasts who were not interested in competing in the NCAA. Plus Nastia Liukin who has already gone pro by accepting endorsement money.

Anyway I thought the whole thing was pretty interesting. I suppose a track movie would be a lot easier to cast since there are plenty of post-collegiate athletes, and most track events are easier to fake than elite level gymnastics.

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Mon May 01, 2006 9:50 am

Anyone make it to this this weekend? looks like it was the #3 movie this weekend.

is it worth going to or should i wait for the video?

this also reminds me...Has anyone seen American Anthem( i had to rent this as it came out in '86 so i would have been 3 or 4yrs old)

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Mon May 01, 2006 10:15 am

Because we all know that if an athlete got even a cent for doing athletics, even if there is no future in it, the world would explode.

Stupid NCAA...
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

pvchick
PV Nerd
Expertise: college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'10.5

Unread postby pvchick » Mon May 01, 2006 6:00 pm

haha.i saw the movie.it was really good. but if ur a gymnast its pretty corny.still a good movie either way

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:35 pm

I've seen it 3 times so far! I cheer for Andreé every time!

Return to “Pole Vault - General”