What state is the best?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

xtremevaulter

What state is the best?

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:09 pm

I want to know what state they think puts out the best pole vaulters. That means at any level High School, College, Elite, even masters. My vote is for Washington State...mainly cause i come from washington and i know quite a few good vaulters from my general area

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Texas

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:32 pm

Texas....In all of pole vaulting history. Texas.

Billy Olson
Jacob Davis
Brad Pursley
Dale Jenkins
Eric Eshbach

....there is a short list of 18' and 19' jumpers from this enormous chunk of land. Im sure I missed a few names also.

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Not without their Texas Tailwinds!

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:28 pm

Typically the answer to that question of what state puts out the best pole vaulters would be texas, but don't forget to take into consideration their oh so adored tail winds. Texas is notorius for tail winds...20+ mph winds ALWAYS consistently blowing in the same direction are common if not the norm. And in those conditions who can't jump 18-19 feet? However, take the Texans out of the good ol Lone Star State away from their tail winds and they've got nothing on anyone else. I personally take off about 6-8 inces any mark coming out of texas.

vaultin chris
PV Pro
Expertise: (Almost) Elite?
Lifetime Best: 5.42
Favorite Vaulter: Everyone Who Vaults

Unread postby vaultin chris » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:13 pm

not to mention they have alot more warm daysthan us here in the north
Chris Smith
http://jumpchrisjump.com

OAKPV2004
PV Follower

Unread postby OAKPV2004 » Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:16 pm

Untrue. I PRed last summer out of this state, in tennesee. We have variable winds too, Many times bad cross winds. Not to mention Rain at the worst times, and humidity...

vaultin chris
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultin chris » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:01 am

oh that sounds real bad... :(
how about this...my first outdoor meet last year at Ohio Univ. was about 38 degrees and out of the 8 meets i had only 4 were 70 degrees or better and two of them were 40 or below.
Chris Smith

zack

Unread postby zack » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:19 am

If you're talking High School it was talked about earlier here http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=79&start=0

vaultin chris
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultin chris » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:30 am

i wish i was talkin about high school...that was my first college outdoor meet -- 38 degrees.
Chris Smith

Carolina21
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.59

Unread postby Carolina21 » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:03 am

Texas all the way. Am I biased? of course, all texans are, but the numbers and heights don't lie. HS national record 18-2(eshbach), NCAA championships meet National record 19-2(Jacob Davis) Just one HS in Texas has had 5 (maybe more I can only think of 5 at the moment) 17 foot+ vaulters. Most states can't even claim that many total. And this was from a small 3a high school in a small town, not one of Texas' huge cities.
-Rise to the occasion
PR: 18' 4.0

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:04 am

1. Texas
2. California
3. Indiana

Honorable Mention:
Oklahoma
Washington
Oregon

Texas is a lock at #1 no doubt about that. Hostorically Cali has always had stud HS kids, but has fallen off as of late. Indiana is #3 because that's where i went to HS and they always produce quality kids every year. There is consistently a kid or two over 16' every single year. Not too many 17' footers (3 all-time), but the list of 16'+ kids is astounding(i'm in there some where :yes:)
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:00 pm

I know most people don't expect much from Arizona, but if you look at the level of our athletes in all rangers, not just HS, you can see that we definetely have a good vault state (though not the best). As i have mentioned in other posts, we have people who train here such as Nick Hysong, Mel Mueller (in the past), april steiner, brandon bennet, mike mortenson, kevin opalka, amy linnen, etc. Though we've only had one over 17' in HS, we have a long list of 16 plus vaulters, and are typically really consistant at getting at least one or so over every year. But i am biased coming from Arizona of course, but dont count us out just yet. This year you may see some surprising things happening here in the vault. 2 girls jumping 13's at least by the end of the season, and two guys prob around 16'6". I know we need to prove our self as a "vault state" but we'll see what happens.
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

jomrus
PV Whiz

Ohio!!

Unread postby jomrus » Mon Mar 03, 2003 12:47 am

Ohio is coming right along. Just recently, two kids out of Princeton High School alone have risen to 17+ in their first two years of college. Go coach Crump.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”