COOL PV Picture

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

COOL PV Picture

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue Jan 27, 2004 6:01 am

COOL PV Picture
Exceptional Picture of A vaulter Keith Highim Vaulting.
I think this would make a great poster.

http://www.carlislehome.fsnet.co.uk/kei ... keiths.jpg

More pics worth viewing at:
http://www.carlislehome.fsnet.co.uk/keithsweb/

qtpie57
PV Whiz

Unread postby qtpie57 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:38 pm

thats an awesome picture!
"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

Vaultref
PV Pro
Expertise: Master USATF official .. Vertical jumps specialty
Lifetime Best: zero feet

Unread postby Vaultref » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:57 pm

Guess the UK officials/coaches have no regard for a vaulters safety seeing as they have no base protector pads around the standards.

zack

Unread postby zack » Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:49 pm

Actually I would say thats one of the safer pits I've seen from the pictures I've seen of some European pits. :dazed: But I also haven't heard of any pole vaulters dying over there :confused:

VaultNinja
PV Pro
Expertise: Extensive
Lifetime Best: 5.60m
Favorite Vaulter: All the Great Ones

Unread postby VaultNinja » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:18 pm

zack wrote:Actually I would say thats one of the safer pits I've seen from the pictures I've seen of some European pits. :dazed: But I also haven't heard of any pole vaulters dying over there :confused:

I'm sure they have, we just haven't ever really caught wind of it because it doesn't directly effect our sport in the US if it didn't happen here.
If someone tries to step on your dreams.... Step on their face.

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:34 pm

I would love to know how they managed to get the three images of the vault on the one background. How do you put them together? I'm dying to know.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

Keith
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Keith » Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:51 pm

I used a digital camera that takes 5 pics in a second and then using paint shop pro simply cut and paste me with the pole from one pic onto another. As for the other points that pit is about standard size, we do have a few newer indoor pits that are larger, but the majority are that size or a bit smaller, and I have never heard of any deaths certainly in the UK and I have heard no news from any other European countries, but then again there are no where near the number of vaulters in the UK compared to the states.

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:27 pm

When Dominic Johnson first went to Europe to vault, he remarked that everyone gripped about a foot lower than anyone in the US to jump the same heights. Granted the world class guys were still gripping over 16'6", but he was surprised at the number of 18' vaulters who were gripping below 15'6. If that's the case, it just shows that in general more emphasis in Europe is placed on technique than gripping high. I'd hazard a guess and say no one has ever killed themself with good technique.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

belmore
PV Pro

Unread postby belmore » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:32 pm

Achtung, sometimes you say the most profound things, good technique should keep you safe. Bigger pits and foam wrapped standard will never beat good sound vaulting.
compete and jump safe, have fun

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:56 pm

belmore wrote:Achtung, sometimes you say the most profound things, good technique should keep you safe. Bigger pits and foam wrapped standard will never beat good sound vaulting.

I agree. It's really hard to crack your melon landing in the center of the pit. :dazed:

Not that I have tried. :o

There is no substitute for sound fundamental vaulting.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

completemadness
PV Wannabe

European pits...

Unread postby completemadness » Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:21 pm

Most of the pits in Europe are designed to match the MINIMUM IAAF requirements. In general this means at all but the major meetings the following is normal.

1. No forward extensions in front of the box - most mats end where the box begins.
2. Mats which are less than 3m50 (12') in length. (One national championship was held on a mat this size!)
3. Mats which are less than 3m50 (12') wide.
4. No protection or padding around the standards (That's how I broke my shoulder).

Observations from the floor...
1. After having coached/vaulted in the UK, US and Europe I would have to say the Europeans put all their emphasis on technique and have on average a lower grip than most US vaulters.
2. US Vaulters tend to be the fastest vaulters on the planet and regularly come out top in speed gun tests at the champs.
3. UK tends to have been more US focussed (run fast, grip high) but is becoming more influenced by the European philosophy under the guidance of the High Performance managers.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”