jumping crappy in the summer

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

pvjackex
PV Whiz

jumping crappy in the summer

Unread postby pvjackex » Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:45 am

i was wondering if this is normal. i havent been able to jump by best the past 2 weeks. in summer track i was jumping over a 12ft bungee fine and now i cant even get on my big pole, 13 160 gripping at 11'6. i have to jump on a 13 150 gripping around 11ft. and i am barely getting over 11ft. im jumping once a week, but i expected to jump as well as i did in summer track.

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:06 am

*shrugs* it happens sometimes

I'm actually improving this summer...jumping on a 13'150 instead of the usual 13'145...but lately I have been sooooo out of it and not really in the mood to vault, so I decided to skip the rest of the summer so I can get myself back into the sport by October, when my practices start up again...

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:22 pm

yeah, dont sweat it if you dont seem to improve over the summer. the summer is all about having fun and if you choose to vault in the summer then that should be all about learning unless you are trying to peak at the world championships then you are probably not in peak shape in the summer. i would much rather jump well during my season than in the summer, but a productive summer can be an indicator of a good season. of course just vaulting a little over the break can mean good things when you get back into it full force.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:23 pm

Man the summer is the key! for the none talented like me. This is when i catch up and pass up my competition, summer if used right is a huge advantage. You cant come out and practice bad habits and expect to get better, i would advise restructuring your run and plant, go back to some of the basics,. Mix it up go back to short runs and stiff poles and work ur way up.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:36 pm

Summer time jumping is time for fun! It's a time when you want sharpen your tech. not continue to try to jump like in season comp time.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

nipger
PV Fan

Unread postby nipger » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:36 pm

yea i love jumping in the summer. helps me keep the things i learned at camp.

dorseygirl28
PV Beginner

Unread postby dorseygirl28 » Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:44 pm

:( talk about bad summers i went from jumpin clean with no msses until the last height annnnnnnd then summer came LAZYNESS...........i did horrible, it was crazy and i sucked it up just ask belmore....hehehe
But the first meet was sat. and i did good and jumped clean :D hahaaa :yes: Good year starten early :P
pv hardcore

batvaulter
PV Fan

Unread postby batvaulter » Wed Oct 08, 2003 2:41 pm

hey it will come dont worry i was at 12'6 for a year and a half. summer time is for time to have fun and for tech. you'll do better have faith

jump high, jump safe
batvaulter

Return to “Pole Vault - General”