Hand grip and flex

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

mcook
PV Beginner

Hand grip and flex

Unread postby mcook » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:10 pm

Here's my question. We're holding a 14'6 155 at 13'6 and are able to clear 13'6. Still can't get over our hand grip. What would the flex be at that hand grip? Next, if we went to a 15' 155, where should we hold to have the equivalent flex?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Hand grip and flex

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:16 pm

mcook wrote:Here's my question. We're holding a 14'6 155 at 13'6 and are able to clear 13'6. Still can't get over our hand grip. What would the flex be at that hand grip? Next, if we went to a 15' 155, where should we hold to have the equivalent flex?

A 15'155 is a bigger pole. I wouldn't go to that unless the vaulter is blowing through the 14'6 155 and the 15'155 is the only other pole available.

If you hold higher on the 15'155, you could probably get a similar stiffness, but that is irrelevant because the higher grip slows down the pole rotation significantly, so you end up with a kid that is bending the pole nicely and landing on the runway.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:33 pm

If you're holding 13'6" and clearing that same height, you are actually getting an 8" push-off.

What kind of speed are you bringing down the runway? How good is the take-off position? Are you under? Out? Are you setting up for a good swing? How fast is the swing? Are you swinging to the top?

Jumping over your grip can be done without a bending pole. Answer some of these questions and worry more about those than the flex#'s on those poles and you'll be Okay.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”