20 feet

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:16 pm

vaultwest wrote:I was the vault coach at Oregon the first time Bubka jumped at Pre in 1994 or 95. He came a few days early and trained at Hayward field. I was very fortunate to watch some of his training sessions.

This is what I observed first hand. It was fun to check out his poles and the 5.20 (17 foot) 10.8, 11.0, 11.2, 11.4, 11.7 12.8 flexes poles that were in his competiton bag were incredible/scary poles to actually hold. But in his vault practice during the week he actually vaulted with a bag of poles that were 5.20 length but 14.6, 14.2, 13.4 flex, very interesting to see him jump at a bungee set at 20 feet with these much lighter poles. nothing super human there just a guy working on specific technical aspects of his vault that unfortunately I had trouble figuring out since all the talk was Russian or Ukraninan.

One work out he went into the weight room and I watched him do three lifts. The first was a step up then overhead press with 135 lbs. Working on his plant mechanics and explosiveness. The next was a bounding toe raise type exercise with 135 lbs on his back working on full foot flexion ( toes up) in the air phase. and finally some ab work. Absolutely nothing very impressive at all.

What I noticed most was that in his warm-ups, here was the worlds greatest vaulter doing simple walking and jogging plant drills with and without a pole that no American vaulter past high school would be caught dead doing.

Kind of got me thinking and I realized that as in all things one of Bubkas secrets to his incredible success was his attention to performing the simplest movements of the vault as well as he could and not losing touch with the basics, instead of looking for some remote magical new exciting secret to propel him to his great heights.

Alan is completely right the myths about Bubka's incredible athletic feats are just that myths and not what allowed him to be the greatest ever.

Thank you Vaultwest! Hard work and particular attention to the simple but critical elements is what it takes to become a great vaulter. Alan outlines this very well in his book. If someone wants to jump 20 feet or higher (21') you need to look no further than the Bubka/Petrov Model.
We have gone around in circles on this site about models with some still saying nay to the Bubka/Petrov model. It is proven that the Bubka/Petrov model will take a vaulter to 20' and beyond. No other Model can account for the same. Why? Would Bubka have jumped as high using a "tuck and shoot" method? No!
The best part is that the Bubka\Petrov model works at every level.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:22 pm

"What I noticed most was that in his warm-ups, here was the worlds greatest vaulter doing simple walking and jogging plant drills with and without a pole that no American vaulter past high school would be caught dead doing."

Exactly what I have captured on the clip of Isinbayeva which is part of the new BTB dvd. That clip cost me over 3000 dollars with airfare and 10 days board at the Italian Olympic training centre in Formia but it was worth every cent to get absolute confirmation of this notion. Now all we need is for more atlhetes to believe that perfection comes from doing simple things extraordinarily well - not from superhuman powers or magical technical innovations. :yes: :idea:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Unread postby cdmilton » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:43 am

altius wrote:"What I noticed most was that in his warm-ups, here was the worlds greatest vaulter doing simple walking and jogging plant drills with and without a pole that no American vaulter past high school would be caught dead doing."

Exactly what I have captured on the clip of Isinbayeva which is part of the new BTB dvd. That clip cost me over 3000 dollars with airfare and 10 days board at the Italian Olympic training centre in Formia but it was worth every cent to get absolute confirmation of this notion. Now all we need is for more atlhetes to believe that perfection comes from doing simple things extraordinarily well - not from superhuman powers or magical technical innovations. :yes: :idea:

Alan, that clip is priceless. I will be showing that to my HS athletes who, as average at best, think they are too good for simple drills. They just want to go big every day.
Chris Milton

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:33 am

I found it cool that in her warm-up plant drills, she does her pole drop and leaves the ground while the pole tip is still 6 inches above the ground. It makes perfect sense, and gets you more used to the idea of of a free take off. But from habit, i always do pole drops and leave the ground after the pole hits the ground. I've started trying it like her, and it made a big difference in just one day. Good stuff!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:18 am

So did you manage to afford the dvd 3po or did you steal one someone from else??? Nice to know you are learning something from my efforts. :yes: :idea:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

vaultwest
PV Whiz
Expertise: college coach, masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaultwest » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:30 pm

Hey Bethelpv
the drill/lift was basically bubka putting a barbell with 45 lb. plates so 135lbs on his upper back as one would, to do back squats and then he did straight leg jumps in place so that all the jumping force was centered around his ankles/ calf muscles. As he reached the top of each jump his toes were dorsi flexed and I think he actually did some jumps with the toes inward then straight forward then pointed outward. As I remember it his jumps were 4 to 6 inches high. Hope that clarifies it for you
Vault On

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:05 pm

Sweet! Thanks, I appreciate the information!! :)
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:14 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBboqx7l918

watch at 27 seconds.

O:-) O:-)

I'll add though, im anxious to get the DVD so i can learn these things all at once and not to piece them together from different clips on different sites LOL.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Richie Mercado
PV Newbie

20 feet

Unread postby Richie Mercado » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:59 pm

DJ's Diagrams - the 6.20m Vault!

dj asked me to post this here. I am working on a project with pole vault coaching, teaching, mechanical concepts, etc. I have a site up just recently with some basic info on the project and links to the surveys.

It also contains links to dj's diagrams of model vaults, his 6 stride mark and acceleration charts, and an article I wrote based on developing an approach off of the 6 stride concept.

There is also a thread called Pole Vault Survey with info on this project.

Here is the link. Becca, I linked your site to it; hope you don't mind!

http://www2.sjs.org/Mercado/PVP%20Web/T ... roject.htm

Richie

Return to “Pole Vault - General”