Coaches

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

Sean/vaulter/naeS
PV Nerd

Unread postby Sean/vaulter/naeS » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:52 pm

If it is a public school can coaches tell you what event to do? And by the way any 13 foot freshman would be welcome in Montana. Good luck with that coach.
VAULTERS ARE A CRAZY CREW BUT ITS A FUN RIDE!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:21 am

achtungpv wrote:If he's being singled out because of not playing football, then it's definitely at least against school policy if not some law. I'd check and see if there's any other one event athletes who were forced to run other events. If not, have a lawyer call the AD.

Proving that is always the fun part.

Rhino
PV Pro

Unread postby Rhino » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:06 am

I would not have any beef with him sandbagging any other event the coach put him in (running a 40-second 200, walking through the triple jump). I have seen teachers who hate smart, well-behaved students and distance coaches who hate jumper/throwers even to the point of sacrificing team scores because they don't think it is fair for throwers to run less mileage then their beloved distance runners. Running other events for the good of the team--maybe. But when he is pulled out of an event he can win the coach has demonstrated that he isn't serving the good of the team, so why should the athlete?

I could really rant about this!

Bee
PV Beginner

Unread postby Bee » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:56 am

We complained to the principal, AD, of course the coach who was upset with us from the beginning of the year because we asked to practice at the school and that is when he made the comment that if he allowed him to practice in the off season it wouldn't be fair to the other schools, but I did make a call to the school booster club and I think that was the call that made the difference because I told them they can count on us not helping with any events any longer if this didn't get straightened out and they were in the process of purchasing us a new pole. I appreciate everyone that has commented on this. I will keep you posted all season. We have a meet tonight my son just called and the coach handed him a varsity uniform and told him he would be vaulting. He still commented "do you think you will go out for football in the fall?" Also, someone contacted the town newspaper and told them about our son and what he was jumping and they wanted to run a story on it in the paper. I think he knows we are serious about this.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

bee+

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:28 pm

Bee, where are you located? There maybe someone on this board in close proximity to you who might be willing to help your son. A 13' freshman is someone who any of us would like to help out.

Bee
PV Beginner

Unread postby Bee » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:55 pm

Springfield Missouri area, Seaton is a good student he has over a 4.0 GPA and very focused we would like to find someplace to practice in the off season that didn't take 4 hours to get to. He was working with a very bright young man who was helping him with strength training and vaulting but is now working at the HS and because of MSHSAA he has to limit any private lessons.

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:52 pm

Bee wrote:Springfield Missouri area, Seaton is a good student he has over a 4.0 GPA and very focused we would like to find someplace to practice in the off season that didn't take 4 hours to get to. He was working with a very bright young man who was helping him with strength training and vaulting but is now working at the HS and because of MSHSAA he has to limit any private lessons.

When I competed in high school (1974-1976, Montana) I competed in the pole vault, long jump, 180 low hurdles and was part of the 400 meter relay team. As far training for those events I pole vaulted all the time, long jumped, hurdled and practiced exchanges occasionally in practice. I was in shape and successful because of the amount of time I spent pole vaulting which helped my other events. I think it can be important to compete in other events as long it does not interfere with the pole vault because of your son’s tremendous talent at a young age. I was very fortunate because my father (excellent) was the head coach and I played football the head football coach really liked the pole vault. You can contact Todd Copper, www.justvault.org he is in Missouri I think. Good luck with your decisions.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:04 pm

Bee, From the time I was 7 years old till I was 18, and now for the last 2 years I've had something like this http://www.bubbapv.com/Pages/BYVault-Mike.htm
in my back yard. I don't know how it is in MO. but in MN. paid coaches in and event are not allowed to work with athletes of their event in the off season. It's pretty serious stuff. The reason is "the fairness thing".So your coach wasn't too far off if that's the case in MO. As to unsupervised use of the school's equipment, OH BOY not a chance! Schools are kinda down on our event due to the liability aspects of it anyway so the use of the equipment is out of the question because of that. Other options (and ones that you should look into for the off season, especially with a 13 foot freshman) is form your own vaulting club. There are several threads on this forum as to how this can be done. It appears that you're over the "let my kid jump" part of this issue, so now it's time to focus on his off season jump availability. Later.........Mike

oldguy
PV Newbie

Unread postby oldguy » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:28 am

If you are in Springfield Mo. you should try and contact Mark Aschen (he organizes the Pole Vault Explosion in St. Louis on 4th of July) he is in grad school in Springfield. He is a 16' plus vaulter who went to Lindenwood in st. louis an excellent student of the vault and will be a great coach. Becca probably knows his email address. Good Luck.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:51 am

oldguy wrote:If you are in Springfield Mo. you should try and contact Mark Aschen (he organizes the Pole Vault Explosion in St. Louis on 4th of July) he is in grad school in Springfield. He is a 16' plus vaulter who went to Lindenwood in st. louis an excellent student of the vault and will be a great coach. Becca probably knows his email address. Good Luck.

Yeah, I don't know what his schedule is like these days, but Mark is a really good guy and knows a lot about the vault. We were teammates in college.

polevaultexplosion@yahoo.com

He can be REALLY bad about replying to emails though, so don't be shocked if he doesn't write back right away.

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:37 pm

i just now say this forum post and it made me laugh because i usually place first in pole vault but my coach wanted me to run the 400 which i am not too bad at, but i checked my self out of it because i was vaulting and they were running it at the same time( my coach was mad at me for like 4 secs. until he realized i got my pr at 13 and took first
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

Bee
PV Beginner

Unread postby Bee » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:11 pm

First of all we won the event Thursday night but he stopped at 11' because everyone else was out at 10' and it was 29 degrees. We were freezing. He made 10 pts for the team which the team won. He also received his varsity letter Thursday. we did not have to compete in any relays or marathons. Also, the very bright, young, wise man that is working with our son is Mark Ashewn. Thanks for the tip. They are planning on going to the street vault at St. Louis. I need the info about other camps especially in Eldorado Springs, MO. and Tulsa OK. Thanks everyone.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”