PV Pet Peeves

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

southpolevaultzx
PV Beginner

Unread postby southpolevaultzx » Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:09 am

when you are told 'so-and-so would have been so much better than you if they hadn't had to move and leave school' by your own teammate when you are vaulting 2feet higher than that 'better' person while they are still at your school :mad:
'Hey, what do you vault?'

'11', 11'6", it varies'

---What does it take to win? Lots of Dr.Pepper!

Russ
PV Master

Unread postby Russ » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:12 pm

"Amen" about running steps back!

Here's what I learned from coaching with Jan Johnson.

Assuming a right-handed vaulter: Here's the general rule of thumb.

In practice, find your 3-left distance. For most high school boys (if you start w/your right foot), it'll be around 32-36 feet. For most hs girls, it's 28-32. Once, you've got your 3-left distance, just add approx. double your height for every left that you back up. It may be a little more or less, but it'll be close enough to jump 95% of the time.

For example, if you are 6 feet tall and your 3-left distance is 35 feet, your 4 left distance will be about 47 feet; your 5 left distance will be about 59 feet; your 6 left distance will be about 71 feet; etc.

If you are a rather fast runner, your distances may be a little longer (maybe a little more than twice your height per left) and if you are a little slow, maybe you'll be a little less than twice your height per left.

Of course, you'll need to experiment in practice. But you should NEVER have to run your steps back at a meet.

Give it a try. I've never had anyone tell me that it doesn't work.
Russ

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

peeves

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:24 pm

This is a bit of a departure from pet peeves, but for all those who run their steps backwards (and why would anyone think this works???). this via DJ. Make a mark on the track (not necessarily runway) if you are trying to find 7 left steps run back from the mark and someone catch your 4th left. Put a towel on the first mark and pour water on it. Start at your 4th left mark and run a 7 left pole run with a plant and take off. The water will last through 3 lefts youwill run past the towell and show EXACTLY where you 7 left take off should be.......Go Dave!!!!!

*Breakaway*89
PV Newbie

Unread postby *Breakaway*89 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:40 pm

my pet peeve....hmm...lets see small schools...lol

btw~i had a meet at a small school today. I only took 7 lefts, and i wound up running on 3 diff. serfaces. One of which i almost slipped on. Then theres those lovely oblivious people who just walk in front of you...and those cute little midgets who put all their stuff so close to the runway...oh i had so much fun :dazed:

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:43 pm

mine is brand new and aquired recently after vaulting and a softball team comes in and starts hitting and throwing right at the runway. the whole field house was open and they had to start batting and throwing twards us. worst part most of them couldnt even catch so you had to wait till they hit the ball to someone away from te runway so that you cauld take off and try and vault without getting hit. that really got to me :mad:
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:14 pm

we also used to have a problem in our fieldhouse with some dance team coming in at 6pm, which I found out later wasn't even supposed to be using our fieldhouse. We always had music blasting while we vaulted, and they would always come over and tell (not ask) us to turn it off so they could put their retarded clubby music on to practice to. of course we always told them no ;)
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:17 pm

[For example, if you are 6 feet tall and your 3-left distance is 35 feet, your 4 left distance will be about 47 feet; your 5 left distance will be about 59 feet; your 6 left distance will be about 71 feet; etc.

.[/quote]

I agree with Russ. If you know your three step approach distance than double your height and you get your 4 left and so on. However as I recently discovered....those of us who do no have twelve inch feet have a little harder time finding the exact mark using this rule (assuming the only marks on the runway are ten foot increments from 30' to 100' without a tape measurer). If there is a measuring tape by the runway you are set. If not, grow bigger feet, or write down you marks for each approach distance in your Pole Vault Power Pole Vault Journal ;) and you'll be set. This system works and saves time. It also can show who has confidence on the runway, as some people I have seen will only "take the jump up" if they have first run there steps back. On the other hand, there are those individuals who generally will take up every jump, regardless of the starting mark (not saying these attempts are successful :eek: )

APKpolevaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby APKpolevaulter » Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:46 pm

When you hear coaches or teamates of other schools trying to tell someone what to do and you know that what they are saying is completely wrong and will make the person vault worse. ugh!
<--Mike. 2004 Florida AAU State Champion

*FASTER~STRONGER~HIGHER*

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:15 pm

vaulter870 wrote:mine is brand new and aquired recently after vaulting and a softball team comes in and starts hitting and throwing right at the runway. the whole field house was open and they had to start batting and throwing twards us. worst part most of them couldnt even catch so you had to wait till they hit the ball to someone away from te runway so that you cauld take off and try and vault without getting hit. that really got to me :mad:

yeah thats always fun.... grr
What have you done today to get better?

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:07 am

Coaches who dont know anything and let you jump on a pole 20lbs to small for 4 weeks until a different coach finally lets you know GRR
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

vaulter0512
PV Nerd

Unread postby vaulter0512 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:41 pm

Anoter thing i hate is spikes that are loose on my feet i have to have them nice and tight!!
Always Improve...Always Evolve...Never Give up...

APKpolevaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby APKpolevaulter » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:16 pm

vaulter0512 wrote:Anoter thing i hate is spikes that are loose on my feet i have to have them nice and tight!!

i have one thats always loose. its become a habit to like lift my foot and hand tighten it before every jump.
<--Mike. 2004 Florida AAU State Champion

*FASTER~STRONGER~HIGHER*

Return to “Pole Vault - General”