Who has a problem with volzing?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

wayupthere
PV Whiz

Unread postby wayupthere » Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:37 pm

yep. big pv tradition here in Indiana yes
hmmmm

Vaulterchick88
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaulterchick88 » Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:43 pm

that's awesome, none of my family understands vaulting, i could explin it to my mom for hours and she still wouldn't get it. then again she still calls cross-country track
"Life is not measured by the number of breath you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away"
- Anonymous

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Sun Jul 06, 2003 2:48 am

Hmmm - what other sports could we analogize this to:

Basketball - every shot must touch nuthin' but net or it doesn't count - no tip-in rebound shots count either

Golf - a hole in one doesn't count if it hits the pole

Football, soccer, hockey - a goal doesn't count if it touches the goalpost before going through

Tennis - if the ball hits the net before falling inbounds on a return, it doesn't count

Baseball - stealing bases is not allowed because the runner didn't earn it fairly

Auto Racing - passing is not allowed if the passing car bumps the car it's passing

Not every effort to score in every sport is a perfect effort - not even every professional athlete is a "finesse" athlete who performs every skill cleanly, but many still get the job done any way they can within the rules.

xtremevaulter

I dont know exactly how to feel

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:32 am

Well the issue of Volzing is an interesting one. I used to know a vaulter that did it all the time. I would sometimes feel kinda robbed when he did it. But i feel that if a vaulter has the ability to do that while successfully completing a vault then more power to him. or her... hehehe

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:45 am

can you voltz in the high jump?
Ow

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:20 am

I'm picturing my self lying on the mat and throwing the crossbor back on the standards. If you could voltz in the high jump it may bring back the western roll :eek:
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

gpc3
PV Wannabe

Unread postby gpc3 » Wed Jul 09, 2003 8:31 am

You cannot TRY to volz or INTEND to volz or even practice volzing, it just happens. If you can get completely inverted, your horizontal and vertical speed is very small as you go over the bar and you actually have time to look at the bar as you go over. If you are THAT good and can steady the bar as you brush it (very few times has someone actually put a bar back on after it has been knocked off!), GOOD FOR YOU!! Leaving it up to an official to read your intent is ludicrous. Sometimes your hands just brush the bar but don't knock it off. Is that volzing? If the bar is still up and you are in the pit, you made it!
You can never clear a bar you never attempt.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:41 pm

gpc3 wrote:You cannot TRY to volz or INTEND to volz or even practice volzing, it just happens.

i try to volz(when i need to), i intend to volz(when i do it), and i've even practiced volzing(that's how i learned). ;)

if i'm coming up a little short or see the bar coming off, i'll try to give it a little nudge to stay on.

and yes, you can practice volzing.....

its not so much practicing putting the bar back on as it is getting yourself in a good poistion to do it if you need to. i practiced coming off the ple with my bottom hand palm up by my hip. that way your hand is in a perfect position to volz if you need to. if you leave the plam down, you're more likely to push down on or into the crossbar, which make it more likely to fall. If you leave your plam up, your hand then acts like a bar putter-upper, gently placing the bar back on the pegs :yes:

WARNING - volzing is illegal(for now) and should only be used for recreational purposes
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

gpc3
PV Wannabe

Unread postby gpc3 » Wed Jul 09, 2003 4:51 pm

OK, I believe you and stand corrected, but now my question is, of course, why did you go to all that trouble for something that is illegal and that you would NEVER even consider doing?! I think you just proved my original point: pole vaulters don't have a problem with themselves or anyone else doing it. It's part of the game!
You can never clear a bar you never attempt.

Vaulterchick88
PV Pro

Unread postby Vaulterchick88 » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:42 am

gpc3 wrote:OK, I believe you and stand corrected, but now my question is, of course, why did you go to all that trouble for something that is illegal and that you would NEVER even consider doing?! I think you just proved my original point: pole vaulters don't have a problem with themselves or anyone else doing it. It's part of the game!

not neccesarily true, now you're putting words into others peoples mouths, some people do have a problem with volzing. i think it's stupid when people try to do it, and i think it sucks when someone gets called for "their hand accidentally brushing the bar." but like you said, it's part of the game.
"Life is not measured by the number of breath you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away"

- Anonymous

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:00 am

i went to all the trouble because at the time, no one knew it was illegal and you could get away with it from time to time :devil:

now that they made a big deal out of it, its real hard to get away with it :crying:
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:02 am

I could never Volz successfully - usually just knocked it off even harder. Don't consider it cheating though, and do consider it an art and a talent. Watch some video of Tarpenning and Starkey from the early to mid-nineties - those were some impressive holders that defied belief - Manson could never seem to make it work, though he tried. Slover is pretty damn good at it, as is Stew.

Not something I would ever coach - not because it's against the rules (1/2 the officials or more never call it anyway), but because I think there are much more important fish to fry. Would be fun to play with though, much like the Huffman Roll.
Last edited by lonestar on Thu Jul 10, 2003 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pole Vault - General”