Cool pictures of steel pole vaulting

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

VaultBrad
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultBrad » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:22 pm

VaultMarq26 wrote:I finally figured out what that pole I found was. It was just an old metal training pole. We jumped on it a little today, but it was so soft we really couldn't use it.

is the metal wraped in a spiral? is it painted black, with a metal buttplug?

i know of old training poles made in france like this that are intended to be used as jump trainers. the vaulter tries to jump enough that the pole doesnt bend.

that might be what it is.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:44 pm

That is EXACTLY what it must be. Painted black, spiral wrap, and made in France.
Man Up and Jump

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:03 pm

wow thats really neat, kinda interesting that you happened to find it, that just shows you that Marquette vaulting has been around for really long long time ;)

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:45 pm

yeah, back in teh day we had a national champian and a couple all americans.
Man Up and Jump

Antihero43
PV Fan

Unread postby Antihero43 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:35 pm

Vault&Flip wrote:
Does anyone who is old enough to remember, know about how much those steel poles weighed? Just wondering for reference how heavy they were....even without knowing I'm positive I wouldn't want to lug one down a runway.

Our school currently has a couple of thos e metal poles, but we dont jump with them...I'll check how heavy they are.

My dad and uncle were around when fiberglass was really starting to be used, we have 3 of those old steel poles at our high school and they weigh about 20 lbs for a 10ft pole
"Our Greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall"

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:22 pm

No they Don't!!!! They just feel like it. Especially if you were good enough to hold on toward the end. Like I said earlier, if you were jumping 10 feet you held on at about 10'6" or 11' so you still had about 3 to 4 feet stickin'out behind you for balance. Now if yours that you have are orange vs the red ones, I remember the orange ones were (in my mind) about as thick as a tree trunk. The red one was a little thinner and I think lighter too. Compared to the fibreglass ones of today, they do weigh a ton....ok I'm exagrating a little...but what they hey......20lbs.....a ton....they were heavy. Later......Mike

distancejumper
PV Pro

Unread postby distancejumper » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:27 pm

our metal poles are really heavy

Return to “Pole Vault - General”