Great new pole vault drill

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

athgeek
PV Beginner

Great new pole vault drill

Unread postby athgeek » Fri May 22, 2009 11:41 am

Anybody else seen this?

http://www.dump.com/?p=131
Vault high...land on something soft :)

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Great new pole vault drill

Unread postby KirkB » Fri May 22, 2009 2:54 pm

I had not seen that before. It's an interesting trick, but that's all it is ... a trick. It's dangerous, and it's not very applicable to PV ... other than it takes similar gymnastic ability and "daringness".

I wonder how many "misses" he did before this one "make"? Probably so many that it's a waste of valuable training time ... unless you just want to goof off and not focus on learning how to clear high bars. :no:

If you want a PV drill that will give you the extension in time with the pole (which is exactly what this trickster is doing in time with him bouncing off the ball), then just get on a tramp and drop to your back ... then extend up in unison with the reflex of the bed of the tramp. :yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

athgeek
PV Beginner

Unread postby athgeek » Fri May 22, 2009 3:05 pm

Sorry Kirk. I posted this with my tongue firmly in my cheek. I guess I was too subtle.
Vault high...land on something soft :)

Thats.What.She.Said
PV Follower
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Darren Niedermeyer :D

Unread postby Thats.What.She.Said » Fri May 22, 2009 3:16 pm

athgeek wrote:Sorry Kirk. I posted this with my tongue firmly in my cheek. I guess I was too subtle.

oh phew, thats the way i took it

that looks kinda fun if i had the skills/a ball to do it with/wasnt in the middle of the importants meets, i would seriously consider trying it
Lefties are cooler
I ♥ Darren Niedermeyer...NOT love
Put the pole in the hole and EXPLODE

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Fri May 22, 2009 3:59 pm

athgeek wrote:Sorry Kirk. I posted this with my tongue firmly in my cheek. I guess I was too subtle.

Don't be sorry. I'm glad you posted it, and I'm glad I replied. For all I know, you could be the one doing the trick, and you could be a vaulter. Either way, there's good PV drills, and then there's nonsense drills. This one's in the latter category.

I'm sure he missed a few times too. Maybe we'll see those on Stupid Human Tricks outtake ... or America's Stupidest Home Videos ... or what's that other show where idiots purposely seek out ways to injure themselves. :no:

It's replies from thrillseekers like TWSS that verifies that (a) vaulters are attracted to these kinds of tricks, and (b) they shouldn't do them ... especially with important meets coming up.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Thats.What.She.Said
PV Follower
Lifetime Best: 11'
Favorite Vaulter: Darren Niedermeyer :D

Unread postby Thats.What.She.Said » Fri May 22, 2009 4:14 pm

KirkB wrote:Don't be sorry. I'm glad you posted it, and I'm glad I replied. For all I know, you could be the one doing the trick, and you could be a vaulter. Either way, there's good PV drills, and then there's nonsense drills. This one's in the latter category.

I'm sure he missed a few times too. Maybe we'll see those on Stupid Human Tricks outtake ... or America's Stupidest Home Videos ... or what's that other show where idiots purposely seek out ways to injure themselves. :no:

It's replies from thrillseekers like TWSS that verifies that (a) vaulters are attracted to these kinds of tricks, and (b) they shouldn't do them ... especially with important meets coming up.

Kirk

i would want to hear someone's reasoning for why that could be a good drill since it just looks like recipe for disaster

oh geeze i would hate to compromise my vaulting at this point in the season

kirk, you changed your avatar?
Lefties are cooler
I ♥ Darren Niedermeyer...NOT love
Put the pole in the hole and EXPLODE

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue May 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Guess who got film of his friend trying it... :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAIhogLdG4A

Just had to. And he didn't get hurt at all while he was figuring it out! He had some crashes, but he's pretty 'bouncy'!

This guy's such a beast! :yes:

EDIT/DISCLAIMER: Don't go trying this just because my friend got it so quickly/easily/safely... This guy's got some serious skills when it comes to this kind of stuff... Tramp tricks, wall flips, etc., etc. are his thing.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Tue May 26, 2009 7:03 pm

OK, boys will be boys ...

I can tell that your beast isn't a pole vaulter. :no:

If he's going to do it (and thank goodness he's on grass), he should at least try to get some PV benefit out of it ... by extending UPWARDS into an I position before he rotates into a SAFE landing on his feet. :idea:

Kirk

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:25 pm

Yeah, that was the tricky part... He did try if I remember correctly, but it ended up with him on his face/back. That timing would really take a lot of practice.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - General”