What did your coach used to do?

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

xtremevaulter

Re: I forgot one

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:50 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:Awww thanks O:-) Too bad you injured your sternoclastmoidthingie at camp :(, you would have gone 13 for sure.

you know i would have gone 13-6 if i had the chance
oh well on to college and 15 foot poles

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:02 am

Well i've been real lucky to have the coach i do... his name is Cranston Hysong....yes, Hysong as in Nick Hysong....it's his dad....he's an awesome coach...He's got a degree in physics, but no longer teaches....other then that, well, he's a hysong, lol.
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

xtremevaulter

I'm Jealous

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:57 pm

Man I am so Jealous of you. How did you pull that off?

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Mon Oct 07, 2002 9:26 pm

well, it's starts with a whole lotta luck...lol....nah, he just was a coach at my highschool...he was head coach my freshman year, soph year was head coach for half the season then gave it over to someone else, and is fortunately now strictly vault coach....he's really good though, i'm so fortunate to get him....it was a weird thing though, i went to highschool to be a high jumper (did it in grade school) first day of track he asked "who wants to be a vaulter", i raised my hand and the rest is history......he really didnt start fully coaching me until middle of my freshman year when i had jumped 12' 6....then he sorta made time ( he was really busy being head coach) to come help the vaulters, lol....anyway, i just got real lucky
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.

-Stephen King

VaultFreak
PV Whiz

Unread postby VaultFreak » Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:05 am

My coach is Mr. Jason Brown. He doesn't have all that much experience as far as vaulting, maybe because when he was vaulting, he fell and broke his elbow and screwed up his back and couldn't really vault after that. At that time he was in high school and was a beginner and was doing 11'6'' ish.
Pole Vaulters get high!

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Sat Oct 12, 2002 1:47 am

Like Becca, I've had several coaches, and they've all been pretty cool:

Joe Iatauro was my high school coach at Tri-Valley in upstate New York, and never vaulted himself, but researched the event immensely and was extremely supportive of going to clinics, camps, and lots of extra meets.

Clay Gorton also helped coach me in high school. He was our school and district record holder at 15'1 which I believe still stands from 1987. He himself read everything he could, talked to everyone in the know, and went to as many camps and clinics possible to learn the vault.

Peter McGinnis was my college coach at Cortland State, and was a solid 15' vaulter for Swarthmore in the 70's. Peter is much more well known however for all the biomechanical info. he has contributed to this sport over the past 15+ years. He continues to analye and support many of the top elite vaulters in the country today.

Don Hood and his son Don D. Hood have also helped me a lot along the way, both in high school and college. Attending their camps fired me up to pole vault and gave me a textbook plant. Their name carries their reputation.

Brian Elmore was my first post-collegiate coach in Austin, TX. Brian has produced several state champs, AAU and USATF national youth champs, NAIA champs, and is also one of the best damn officials in the sport. Check his profile out at www.lonestarpv.com

Doug "Bubba" Sparks was the last coach I had and taught me some really innovative concepts about the vault. I learned as much from Bubba as anyone, and his resume included 2 national NAIA championships and an 18' jump in 1977, not to mention he coached Borya Celentano to NCAA gold in 1998, and Lesa Kubishta to elite status and a spot at the Olympic Trials.

A good coach can really make a difference!

Peace out,

Kris

vaultovau

me coach

Unread postby vaultovau » Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:20 pm

well well my coaches name is val osipenko, he vaulted on the russian national team, hes best is 18-6 that was back in the day, oh yeah hes my dad too, hahaha, my sister also jumps, he best is 11-9

Return to “Pole Vault - General”