phpBB3

A forum to get help with any features of the message board, or to post suggestions for the board or website.

Moderator: ashcraftpv

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: phpBB3

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:02 pm

I don't like how it doesn't mark all threads as read when you leave the site... is there a way to change this is preferences or options or whatever?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

gfilosa
PV Wannabe
Expertise: High School Coach

Unread postby gfilosa » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:56 am

There is a link on the upper right of the board index that says "mark all forums read"; I click on that at the end of each visit in order to see the new ones since my last visit.

decanuck
PV Whiz

Unread postby decanuck » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:32 pm

Pogo Stick wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:I just upgraded the board. Please report any bugs here. I know it's going to feel very different for awhile, but I am hoping this is a change for the better!

It seems older posts were truncated, like posts in both Oklahoma and Pole Vault Manifest. I did not check other threads. Can you change this?
I've noticed this too. There are several threads like this. It seems the cut-off point in the posts occurs immediately following a patch of garbled punctuation which, itself, is a result of board upgrades?

Here's what I mean:
Pole Vault Manifesto
Oklahoma Pole Vault Manifesto

It would be quite a shame if such valuable information was lost, especially if it was due to the poster having used proper punctuation and grammar. LOL Ironic.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:34 am

Yeh, on this Pole Vault Manifesto page: http://s43076.gridserver.com/forum/view ... &start=444

... my post re "Was 20' possible in 1972?" was clipped. I quoted Agapit, and then I'd said something about that quote, but Agapit's quote is clipped part way thru, and my reply is missing completely.

Becca, any chance you can fix that? Do you still have the data from the old site?

It's just that I'm still waiting for Agapit to give me a proper answer to whatever it was that I asked him! :)

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:06 am

Yeh, the Oklahoma Pole Vault Manifesto datum died a similar death. Seems that the character sets were (probably) switched to UTF-8 on this new board, which screwed up all the special punctuation characters. Worse yet, one of these "incorrectly converted" chars was probably an <EOM> char, which truncated the remainder of some posts. There's several instances of this in the OK Manifesto.

Tim McMichael went to a lot of hard work to write that stuff, and we need it back (please)!!!

Maybe ashcraftpv has the resources and know-how to fix this? You'll have to compare the character set of the old board with UTF-8, then check the conversion utility that was used to transfer the data from one to the other. Maybe the phpBB3 vendors owe you a fix for this?

Too late now, but it would have been better to run a short test of converting all the special punctuation chars BEFORE the conversion. :)

Becca, give me a PM if you need more detailed help, but you probably already understand the problem. If not, you'll find an explanation of it here: http://area51.phpbb.com/docs/coding-gui ... ranslation

It's the solution that's going to be tuff. It means reconverting EVERYTHING whilst not losing all the new posts. Ugh! :)

However, if the problem is restriced to just a couple threads, then a manual fixup should suffice.

Good luck on that! :)

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:29 am

Although the messed up characters appear to be involved with the truncation, they did exist on the older phpBB version. In May I wrote a PM to a poster that seemed to have this happen often. Bottom line is the source of the character problem I believe is when people compose their messages in Microsoft Word (perhaps other programs do this also) and then copy and past them into the BB. Of course it only happens if you have MS Word set to replace normal quotes with smart quotes. Below is that message. Note that just copying and pasting this information which contains the smart quotes, causes the condition that has been described.

Have you noticed how when you post on PVP, words containing an apostrophe or quotation mark don't display correctly? Instead they show "from the vaulter’s chest " for example.

I was curious about this and did some looking on the web and learned of one possible cause. If you use MS Word to create your text and then cut and paste it into the PVP text entry box, then that is likely the cause. Below is what I read as a fix to this condition.

To help you get the best looking document possible, Microsoft has loaded Word with smart quotes, a feature that automatically changes straight quotation marks to typographer’s quotes as you type. If you haven’t noticed this before, the quotation marks curl – at the beginning of text they’re weighted at the bottom, and at the end of text they’re weighted at the top. While this makes for a nice printed document, it can be troublesome if your work is going to be used electronically.

Fortunately, this feature can be turned on or off easily:

1. From the Tools menus, select AutoCorrect Options
2. Click on the AutoFormat As You Type tab
3. Under Replace as you type, check or uncheck "Straight quotes" with “smart quotesâ€

I'm posting this in hopes it will help you find why the truncation occurs so that it may be able to be fixed.

Here is a link that discusses it also. After you go there, click on the "Watch this" button to see a little movie about this topic.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HA102510331033.aspx

- master

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:08 pm

Many of the characters got messed up when my old webhost switched which server I was on, and then it happened again when we moved to a new host.

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:06 pm

Well, below are a couple of tests of what I thought was causing some of the problem. However, as can be seen, these two lines have posted without a problem. I don't know why it appears to work OK now where before it had the problem. Maybe someone else knows.

- master

Here are some double quotes that Word changed “now is the time”.

And her is a single quote that Word changed ‘will these show properly’?

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:29 am

master, I think you found this problem on the old board - which didn't support the UTF-8 char set.

On this new phpBB3 board, which uses UTF-8, it doesn't have this problem because the "smart quotes" (the curly quotes) are supported in UTF-8 (as you can see).

Kirk

master
PV Lover

Unread postby master » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:41 am

KirkB wrote:master, I think you found this problem on the old board - which didn't support the UTF-8 char set.

On this new phpBB3 board, which uses UTF-8, it doesn't have this problem because the "smart quotes" (the curly quotes) are supported in UTF-8 (as you can see).

Kirk

Thanks for the explanation. I hate it when I can't figure out (or can't get an explanation for) a computer problem.

On another topic, I stopped by the Newport "street" vault today and Tom Nordyke said Austin was hoping to be there, but he didn't make it. Austin's a great kid. I hope he does well with Pat.

- master

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:55 am

You guys shouldn't have any problems posting special characters in new posts, the issues were with them in old posts both from moving servers and upgrading the board.

If any of your own posts were affected you can always go back and edit them!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:57 am

OK I disabled the setting that limited the number of characters per post, tell me if that fixed the problem with truncated posts...

Return to “Help and Suggestions”