Dynamic box collars

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
jerry hock
PV Beginner
Expertise: Elite coach, 30 yrs. Holloway 19'1", National Cert. PV offic. College coach, private tutor
Lifetime Best: 16'2"
Favorite Vaulter: Mike Cotton

Re: Dynamic box collars

Unread postby jerry hock » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:54 pm

Great testing this weekend at Fitzgerald GA club meet.
Several vaults using the Angel Wing supplemental dynamic plant box collar. I used the manual trigger all day because I felt the vaulters and parents would be more comfortable with me operating. It went really well. Very easy to release and retract. Did not affect any vaulters concentration or block the pole path in any way. Most parents and coaches seemed to approve of the pad especially after their curiosity was satisfied.
I have posted a couple videos of the Angel Wing in operation on youtube
angelwingcarsongood1 should get you to them.
The best part of the day was when I heard someone ask why something like this was not available before now. I wanted to fuss about my last year and experiences with the box collar standard withdrawal effort and all the work put in to the revision task force but I did not fuss. I was grateful for the opportunity to do my part to move the event closer to a safer place.

I believe my invention to be the most simple and easy way to cover the largest, hard surface of the plant box, and do it both cost effectively and without the need for any mandates or standards.
The Angel Wing will be sold as a supplemental product, totally a choice for the end user to add extra protection, over and above the present static collars.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: Dynamic box collars

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:56 pm

jerry hock wrote: I have posted a couple videos of the Angel Wing in operation on youtube
angelwingcarsongood1 should get you to them.

I couldn't find it there, but I did find 3 vids by entering "angelwing jerry hock" in the youtube.com search field.

Charlie: What's your opinion, now that you've seen it in action?

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”