NFHS Standards Minimum Setting Changed for 2013 to 18"

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
Altoonavault
PV Beginner

NFHS Standards Minimum Setting Changed for 2013 to 18"

Unread postby Altoonavault » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:49 pm

A note for all HS vaulters and coaches that the NFHS approved the minimum standard setting to now be 18" / 45cm which also conforms to NCAA regulations. The rationale behind this was the reported in-the-box injuries and represented a zero cost method for all high schools to get vaulters to land deeper in the landing system. This was also a questioned posed on this spring's coaches and officials rules questionairre on the nfhs.org website. I would personally like to thank Jack Hedlund the PA rules interpreter and Tom Cechetti from Kane.

The last HS standard adjustment occurred in 2003 when the the standards were changed frm a minimum of 12" and 30" maximum to 15.5"/45cm minimum and 31.5"/80cm maximum.

Initially the standard settings were minus 12" (12" towards the runway from the zero mark at the top inside edge of the plant box) to a maximum of 24". This rule had been a leftover product of rigid pole / sand or sawdust pit days. Then standard settings, in large part due to the efforts of Jan Johnson, began the movement to get HS vaulters to land deeper in the landing system by gripping lower and improving their vault technique (versus 'grip and rip'). During the 1990s standard settings went from 0" to 24", 12" to 24" (for one year), 12" to 30", and then to5.5" to 31.5" in 2003.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: NFHS Standards Minimum Setting Changed for 2013 to 18"

Unread postby dj » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:07 pm

hye

this is an extremely good move.. a long time coming...

BUTT, what i have seen since the number was 15 was the ones that used 15 never understood why they couldn't/shouldn't move them closer.. the NEVER understand they should lower the grip..

it will be the same with 18... should have gone to 24.. but 18 MAY be safer.. but with the "mentality" a good chance that it is not safer.

dj

fishman4god
PV Pro
Expertise: 4 Time all american 3 college 1 masters,Current high school pole vault coach,current masters vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.81 m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby fishman4god » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:13 am

Deeper is safer...no doubt about it. Good rule good change and it is "moving" no pun intended in the right direction. DJ many high school "vault" coaches know almost nothing about pole vault, they just coach it because no one else will or wants too. In our county we have 13 High Schools. Only 5 have pits! I coach kids from 5 different high schools and end up "helping" at their coaches request dozens more at meets all year long. WE need pole vault coaches but sadly there are not many. So coaching education is needed to make our event safer but the coaching base does not exist. But we continue to try and educate the masses...................and so on.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:41 pm

fishman4god wrote:Deeper is safer...no doubt about it.

This is a great rule! :yes:

It still allows the vaulter to move his standards forwards or backwards by 35cm, which is ample.

Does anyone know what the range is that will land you in the PLZ (Preferred Landing Zone, or Coach's Box)?

It would be interesting to know where the standards are set for any vaulters' PRs. Can you tell us?

I usually set mine to 60, but back then we weren't allowed to move them any further back.

I'm thinking that most of the best jumps for HS vaulters are closer to 80 than to 45. Are they?

I know we're still early in the 2013 outdoor season, but is there any feedback from coaches and vaulters on this yet?

There should be less stallouts, and less dangerous landings near the plant box. Are there?

Kirk Bryde
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

littlewilson85
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Coach

Unread postby littlewilson85 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:20 pm

KirkB - I have notice so far that jumpers that simply grip high and run fast are really struggling with the new rule. We have all seen the type of jumpers I'm talking about. The ones that make you turn your back every time they jump.

I have also noticed I big change with Jr. High vaulters. Not sure if it is the rule change or what, but we have a noticeable difference in the amount of jumpers. Jr. High coaches can't throw just anyone over to pole vault anymore to clear a height and score.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:42 pm

littlewilson85 wrote: ... we have a noticeable difference in the amount of jumpers. Jr. High coaches can't throw just anyone over to pole vault anymore to clear a height and score.

I see what you mean. But this is a GOOD thing, isn't it? It puts the onus on proper coaching and proper technique, AND less potential for stallouts into the box!

But seriously, the rule change was only from 15.5" to 18", so having to put the standards back another 2.5" can't make THAT much difference, can it? :confused:

The way I look at it, by the end of the season there should be MORE vaulters, because they'll all still be HEALTHY! :D

Kirk Bryde
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

littlewilson85
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Coach

Unread postby littlewilson85 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:18 pm

In my area, 15.5" was a pretty common standard setting and kids would squeak over every now and then. I would get weird looks from other coaches and vaulters when my vaulters would say standards at 24" or 30". In my opinion, the rule will not affect those that teach proper techniques due to the rarity of these vaulters having the standards at 18" let alone the old rule of 15.5".

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:00 am

I think I would have preferred 20 inches. At our girls sectional meet, we had 27 vaulters and all but 4 have their standards further back than 18 with the vast majority of them at 15.5. My girls were at 24 and 28 running from 5 lefts. Many of the other girls were running from 6 or more lefts. I don't know if this rules change will make the vault safer but, perhaps, it will weed out vaulters that can't improve their vaulting over an entire season??? No heightinng just isn't much fun. Harsh, I know but I'm sick of watching crappy technique.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:21 pm

We have mandatory PV coaching certification in WA and standards all the way back is really stressed as a safety thing. I generally have all of my vaulters all the way back, and it's not uncommon to be at meets where the majority of the kids are all the way back. :yes:

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”