Amazing Video of Warmerdam

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Amazing Video of Warmerdam

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:55 pm

A while back I pointed out that Bubka was all over the place over the bar. It looks like Warmerdam was too. Check out this video. I am going to tentatively submit the idea that the dynamics of the Petrov model lead inevitably to loss of control at the top of the jump. The jump is simply so high that it doesn't matter.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kH-pAXnlmkA& ... ed&search=

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:08 pm

Wait, so which jump was 4.79, or which one are you pointing out? Its kinda hard since there are 6 or 7 jumps in that video. The last one was pretty sweet, and like the 3rd one in was 1 1/2 feet over.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Tim McMichael
PV Master

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:05 am

I wasn't refering to any one jump in particular, and I don't know which of them is the 4.79 vault. I was just noticing how his arms and legs seem to be going all over the place and how he almost always over rotates. It probably has nothing in the world to do with Petrov, but I thought it was interesting that the greatest stiff pole vaulter of all time and the greatest fiberglass vaulter of all time seem to be out of control on the top of their jumps, especially since Warmerdam's technique was the inspiration behind Petrov's innovation.

I have only ever seen two other videos of Warmerdam in my life. I was really excited to find so many from different angles in both fast and slow motion. This video is going to stay on my hard drive for a long time.

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:17 am

If you ask me, I think its just the natural reaction to "oh s***, I'm about to land in 6 inches of sawdust!"
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:48 am

For what its worth... the top of his jump looks a lot like mine does when i try to finish a jump on a pole thats too soft for me. Its somehow seems harder to get connected and tight on top.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:03 pm

It would seem that he's out of control because of his powerful two leg swing, or so I'd think. He's go all that energy in his legs to get rid of, and so he kicks them around trying to keep himself from doing a gainer. Just my thoughts.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:33 pm

Im thinking that If your not slightly out of control at the top, you are probably not receiving the full return of energy from the pole
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

Tim McMichael
PV Master

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:00 pm

Im thinking that If your not slightly out of control at the top, you are probably not receiving the full return of energy from the pole

I keep harping on this, but Joe Dial who had an unbelievable push-off was very precise over the bar. He and I are two of the main reasons holding the bar on is now against the rules. Bubka never held a bar on, but I honestly don't think he could have. To learn get your left hand on the bar and then put it back where it started from, you have to clear it with nearly identical form several thousand times. There are several other athletes with impressive clearances above their hands who are precise over the bar.
Last edited by Tim McMichael on Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tim McMichael
PV Master

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:02 pm

powerplant42 wrote:It would seem that he's out of control because of his powerful two leg swing, or so I'd think. He's go all that energy in his legs to get rid of, and so he kicks them around trying to keep himself from doing a gainer. Just my thoughts.

I think this may be the case. I can't imagine a person swinging with more power than Warmedam shows in these videos. Especially since he is double legging it. I think the same is true of Bubka.
Last edited by Tim McMichael on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Re: Amazing Video of Warmerdam

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:52 pm

Tim McMichael wrote:A while back I pointed out that Bubka was all over the place over the bar. It looks like Warmerdam was too. Check out this video. I am going to tentatively submit the idea that the dynamics of the Petrov model lead inevitably to loss of control at the top of the jump. The jump is simply so high that it doesn't matter.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kH-pAXnlmkA& ... ed&search=

Incredible!

Thank you for the great video.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:10 pm

Plus, he might just be trying to get ready to fall correctly. (Notice the sawdust...)
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

scsuvaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby scsuvaulter » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:10 am

did anyone notice that at the last second before plant he slides his bottom hand to his top... this is a case for the top hand being most important when you vault, but I believe this is also the reason the he has no control on the top of his vault... it is really hard to have a top with a closed grip (you would know if you try... assuming some have not.)

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”