How many former or present gymnast out there?

A forum to discuss anything that does not have to do with pole vaulting.
vaultgirl1028
PV Nerd

How many former or present gymnast out there?

Unread postby vaultgirl1028 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:06 pm

Hey are there any other gymnast out there? If so what level did you get to?
I was a gymnast for 11 years and got to lvl 9 i loved it but practicing 25 hours a week got real annoying so i quit and now i pole vault!!
PR: 12'
I believe i can fly.....?

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:35 pm

I was a gymnast for just over 11 years too and got to Level 9. After continually having to come back from more and more injuries, I decided that I did not want to practice 35+ hours a week that summer and so decided to try out pv instead. Best decision that I ever made in my life :D

Skyin' Brian
PV Master

Unread postby Skyin' Brian » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:12 pm

did some form of gymnastics from before i was old enough to go to school until my senior year in high school. never did get into the crazy training hours though since by the time i started competing i was always splitting time with other sports. competed from age 12 until 17 in USAG meets. only trained about 5 or so hours a week for gymnastics though and although i did compete as a class 1 my last year i didnt really have all of the requirements. i did make it to regionals but dont ask how i placed there. but since i was a gymnast with not the best form why not pole vault? no deductions for not pointing the toes(actually vaulters shouldnt point their toes. funny that i had to deal with this problem the opposite way in vaulting trying to not point my toes when i had a hard time doing just that in gymnastics). best events were floor and vault. pommel horse.....dont ask...

qtpie57
PV Whiz

Unread postby qtpie57 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:15 am

i did gymnastics for 6 years got to level 9, quit in 5th grade started vaultin in 8th
"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:54 pm

actually vaulters shouldnt point their toes. funny that i had to deal with this problem the opposite way in vaulting trying to not point my toes when i had a hard time doing just that in gymnastics

That's great. Strangely enough I had the same problem when I started. My problem was soon solved after I spiked myself pretty badly by pointing my toes...I no longer point my toes all that often like I used to and I have a scar to show why.

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:32 pm

i had the same problem too lol
i was in gymnastics for 8 yrs, got to level 7, and quit for pole vaulting! ...
well, actually, i was quitting for marching band, but i quit a couple months early so i could pole vault.
aaaaaannnd...I was also starting to get pretty terrified of the stuff i had to do on beam... :o
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Gymnasts

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:05 am

Jodie was a level 9 and went to regionals and qualified for level 10. Her coaches wouldn't let her compete anymore because she tried out and made cheer. (But every year they ask her about coming back :P ) But because of their decision at that time not to let her compete club gymnastics anymore, I talked her into trying pole vaulting :D She still did junior high and has been doing high school gymnastics. She can still do all her level 9 tricks after being out of USAGF gymnastics for 4 years...it's amazing that she works out so little but can still do those things. She can not step foot in the gym for 6-8 months and walk right in and put a double full on the floor and swing giants, etc. She has won floor the last three years at high school state. Don't know if she is going to do it this year though with it being her senior year in track... The only reason she did it last year is that they needed her to keep their winning streak alive. They are undefeated in any meet for SEVEN YEARS!!! They have won district and state for seven consecutive years!! It was close this year :confused: , so they were really glad to have her!! :yes:
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:57 am

I was a gymnast back in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade. I was a part of tumbling tots. :P
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

Return to “General”