dance

A forum to discuss anything that does not have to do with pole vaulting.
fong520
PV Pro

dance

Unread postby fong520 » Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:55 pm

anyone wanna help me out and teach me or tell me how to dance??.. i kno nothing and im goin to my soph formal on fri lol.. sad i kno but its never too late to learn rihgt?. so ya im taking this girl i like adn i dont kno how to dance and i dont wanan be like william hung, although some poeple say all asians r alike lol.. adn i dont wanan just stand there adn make her get all grrrr casue she goes to another school adn doesnt kno anyone thats going. so shes wit me the whole time..
so ya any tips?.. thanx :D
i run, therefore im buff.

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:31 pm

sorry, but lol, kinda funny post. so here;s what you do: grab a couple LED/glow in the dark ear pieces, put one in each hand, and wave your arms around like a maniac to some good techno........only kidding, but i see that done often enough. i know how to swing dance proficiently....but hard to demonstrate over the net?

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:47 pm

If I were you I would ask your date to teach you that way you will get an idea of how well she can dance, what kind of dancing she likes and what she expects of you. Plus if you listen and learn, you get bonus brown nose points for trainability. The other bonus is that if you don't know the girl well, at least you will have a chance to get to know her better and won't feel as awkward around her at the dance.

As far as couples dances go, foxtrot and two step are the same rhythm, they probably won't play as waltz at a high school function, and you can always two step for a slow dance, especially if you don't know the girl well enough to grab and grope. For swing/jitterbug, it's mostly rhythm and a couple of simple leads will make both of you look way ahead of the crowd.

Your job is to ALWAYS make her look good dancing and to keep her safe; and if there is a mishap on the dance floor, like a missed lead, bad lead or collision, ALWAYS take responsibility and apologize even if it wasn't your fault.

If you are worried about freestyle dancing, just move to the music and have fun. Remember that there is ALWAYS someone on the floor that will look worse than you.

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:58 pm

Just get into the beat and let your body go! hehe...

I suck at dancing...don't listen to me...all I can do is slow dance...because that's soooo easy

VaultnGus
PV Pro

Unread postby VaultnGus » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:19 pm

Let it be known here that the Lord of the Poles has absolutely NO association with the Lord of the Dance...

trust me - we've seen him in action
;)
"Will vault for food"

jhesch
PV Pro

Unread postby jhesch » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:15 am

sounds good about askin her to give you a hand, see what she's down for, many girls go for different stuff, def. go for some hands on experience before the dance, if you know what im sayin, jk. try settin up a nice dinner at your house or somethin w/ candles, get some Marvin Gay (isnt that his name?) goin, then ask her to dance. if things are goin good, she'll probly help and show you what to do (in terms of dancing, not what you were thinkin, sicko -- jk)

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:47 am

VaultnGus wrote:Let it be known here that the Lord of the Poles has absolutely NO association with the Lord of the Dance...

trust me - we've seen him in action
;)

ROFL

Aww, man, you just made my day, Doug! awesome

kush
PV Newbie

Unread postby kush » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:30 pm

hey fong it's shawn,

haha don't worry i'm asian too and i can dance, sort of at least (does DDR count?). just go to this website http://www.breakdance.com/ and learn all the moves, and don't forget to yell, "You got served!" after your done. oh well good luck with learning to dance.
later

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Dancing

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:13 pm

Just take a knitted cap (beanie?) and spin on your head on the floor! The other kind of dancing I've seen "kids" 15-25 doing looks more like something that goes on in the bedroom!!!! The weirdest part is seeing girls dance with girls like that!!!! I can't handle that!!! :dazed: The high school dances here---they patrol and make sure that they are FACING each other!! :confused: Just watch MTV if you want that kind of dance lesson.....I don't think I would ask a girl you didn't know very well to learn that kind of dance at her house!!
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

opalkak
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.45m

Unread postby opalkak » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:35 am

it doesn't stop after high school it just gets worse,

two to left one to the right thats what I always do, just try and be in rhythm.
...success is doing what you can do well and doing well whatever you can do

Shorty220
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Shorty220 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:55 pm

i'm asian too haha. don't worry there are LOTS of asians who are AMAZING at dancing so don't worry about it. The more u worry the worse u'll look so just go expecting to have fun and just dance ;)

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:05 pm

http://www.zefrank.com/invite/swfs/index2.html
http://www.zefrank.com/dance2/navigation.html
im thinking of busting out ride the pony and stir pot of love tonite since those r the only stuff i found out how to do lol... hahha soo funny though check it out...
still need tips for tonite if u have any, thanx
i run, therefore im buff.

Return to “General”