Moving forward

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
lmshil
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Steve Hooker

Moving forward

Unread postby lmshil » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:09 pm

After a month break from vaulting, earlier today I had my first vaulting practice back. Any critique/advice would be appreciated. I have a goal of breaking my school record (14'6) by the end of my senior year and i feel like working hard during this summer ill be hitting 14'6 going INTO my senior year. I know I have a few big flaws I need to fix such as breaking in my bottom arm and getting inverted better and quicker and once i do, i think ill be clearing high heights easily.
Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvpaO-AvLVc
Grade: Going into senior year of HS
Pole in video: 14' 165 skypole gripping about 13'6
Bungee: 13' in first video, 14' in second
PR: 12'6
100m time: 12.5
Thanks!
Failure only makes you want success even more

High on Vault
PV Newbie
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Re: Moving forward

Unread postby High on Vault » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:26 pm

I am personally not a big fan of coaches pushing their athletes into the pit but it is not the worst thing in the world.

Your hand placement and position is good but you are completely locked in the shoulders at take off. this slows the swing and forces the pole to unbend prematurely. Pay close attention when Coach Butler talks about being elastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoUw1hklW8Y

I am a coach who prefers to coach the vault from the top down. At this stage of learning you should have the mentality of getting your hips as high as possible. You should be using the swing to raise your hips. At the moment your hips are low so when you attempt to "pull turn and push" you are shooting yourself out rather then up.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”