review my vault

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
dawson338
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

review my vault

Unread postby dawson338 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:24 pm

13' 150
6 step
14' bungee

https://youtu.be/5MO0bQdkpX8

austin_tman
PV Beginner
Expertise: Former high school vaulter, still vaulting
Lifetime Best: 12'9

Re: review my vault

Unread postby austin_tman » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:34 am

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:36 pm

First, refer back to my comments to your thread in the Equipment forum: http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=55939&p=222325#p222325

Second, make sure you read my post above (the one that Austin linked you to).

Here's a few more technical comments ...

You say you need a new pole because you're mushing this one, and you're landing at the back of the coach's box.

I agree that you will be needing a new pole once you fix a few technical flaws, but you're not there yet.

And I agree that you're landing well into the pit, but the only reason for that is because you're not finishing your vault. You're flagging out so much (and so early) that that's what's causing you to shoot into the pit. Once you extend more upwards, you won't be flagging out so much. This is by definition - no surprise here.

Two flaws:

1. You're raising your pole a full 2 steps ahead of when you should be raising and planting it. Maybe that's something that a coach taught you early on (when your PR was < 10-0), but you're ready for a proper plant now, so plant it like a pro.

2. You have no trail leg at all. You need to work on that - a lot! I think my "It's Basic Physics" thread describes how to work on this, but if not, search for "kirk downswing" or "kirk highbar".

Once you fix these 2 flaws, *then* you might be needing a stiffer pole! :)

Good luck!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:29 am

You're a full shoe under at take off.

High on Vault
PV Newbie
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 11'

Unread postby High on Vault » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:46 pm

A good vaulter can make a pole that is too light for them (within reason) work for them. Yes you are taking off under, but for now I am over looking that. If you are missing your down swing which is after takeoff, the pole will always flick you out no matter how well you get inverted (turn upside down). I suggest you keep your trail leg long all the way through your swing. A good mental trick is to try and kick the box.

Right now, it might feel like you are racing the pole to get upside-down. After you press the take off----(I am a fan of this but many coaches might argue with me) the pole will hold its bend though the force of the swing. The pole is nowhere close to overbending, so if i was your coach I would not move you up poles, until you can learn to make the pole kick you in the correct direction.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”