Review

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
CallumPV
PV Newbie
Expertise: english pole vaulter
Lifetime Best: 3.80
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Review

Unread postby CallumPV » Tue May 31, 2016 7:01 am

Jumping for: 1 year
Pole: 14ft 160
Gripping: 13,8
Bungee: 3.90

Hi there, please review my vaulting
https://youtu.be/VefdnL16Yk8

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Review

Unread postby GasPasser » Tue May 31, 2016 9:37 am

For a 15-YO, with just one year of vaulting, you are doing fantastic. Clearly you are getting some quality coaching. Because I strongly believe that you are being coach well, I'm not sure why you are asking for advice here. A pit side coach, especially one whom you work with regularly, is way better than what we may be able to see and comment on from a single video.

Here's what I see - you are not swinging well post-takeoff. Specifically, the trail leg plays a key role in the success of the vault once you leave the ground. Kirk has recently posted a great thread on this very subject and it applies to your video perfectly.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=54946

I also recently commented on another vaulter's video with similar (but more severe) swing issues. You may like the videos I linked to there. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=54938

CallumPV
PV Newbie
Expertise: english pole vaulter
Lifetime Best: 3.80
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Unread postby CallumPV » Tue May 31, 2016 10:51 am

Thank you for the quick response,

I do believe that I have a good coach, however I just thought it would be nice to get another persons perspective. Also another problem I saw with my vault was the collapse of the left arm, could you please clarify is this is a major issue or will it get better over time.

In relation to the swing, I am having trouble completing the swing, into a proper inversion since I moved up poles. Could you possible recommend so drills that would help to rectify the situation as.

Callum

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Tue May 31, 2016 3:12 pm

CallumPV wrote: ... the collapse of the left arm, could you please clarify is this is a major issue or will it get better over time.

It will get better over time, so don't worry about it.

Focus on a long, circular trail leg. Work on this on the highbar first, then the pole.

Good luck!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”