Help with the top of the vault.

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
spencershade
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Help with the top of the vault.

Unread postby spencershade » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:11 pm

Hi, I have been breaking my vault down and working on the run through and take off for a while now. My run, plant, takeoff, and drive have gotten SOOOOO much better but I need help with the top of the vault. I don't seem to get in the "dreaded V" or stuck in the bucket but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. if you look at my feet at the top of the vault they almost loop around the crossbar (bungee in this case) and i land on the bar. My standards are at 28 so I'm getting into the pit but there is something I am missing from the takeoff to the top of the vault that I would like someone to critique and let me know what all problems they see. Sorry I don't have the full run video I couldn't get someone to record me. Here's the video:
https://youtu.be/-d_iG00QE3Y

Thanks guys!

GasPasser
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former HS vaulter - now 55-59YO Masters vaulter, and part-time coach
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Help with the top of the vault.

Unread postby GasPasser » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:33 am

You need to connect to the pole at the top. By that I mean your top hand (right for you I think) has to connect to your right thigh, while at the same time straitening out your body out while inverted. It helps if you dorsiflex your feet (heels up, toes down) . Then pull with both arms keeping your right hand in contact with your thigh and abdomen, while putting your right foot over to initiate the turn.

You are coming off the pole too early. You want to go up - not out.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”