practice on correcting my plant

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
duhcalvin
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Open vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'

practice on correcting my plant

Unread postby duhcalvin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:23 am

So i Was practicing on not throwing my head back right when i plant to get a good drive. you can see the difference from the first vault. Bur any more advice on what i should work on?
jump details are in video description

http://www.youtube.com/user/duhcalvin5#p/u/0/z7CKArNZbII
State of mind is everything

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Re: practice on correcting my plant

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:45 am

Not sure what's going on with the approach, but you're taking off under... and on those last jumps you were quite far under as well. Make sure you aren't over striding down the runway and striking your foot below you and not out in front at your takeoff. This, along with being on the balls of your feet will keep you more upright and in better position for a better takeoff. It didn't seem like you were jumping much off the ground, but that could have been from being under and getting dropped onto your back quickly.

Do the 20-in-20 drill (20 steps in 20 meters) and concentrate on those high, quick steps while being tall. Do them a few times without a pole, then do them with a pole. If you can correct your stride, and ultimately takeoff without reaching out and being under, you'll find yourself in a much better position to leave the ground without getting rejected as you were on those last two jumps.

duhcalvin
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Open vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'

Unread postby duhcalvin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:51 am

So i should practice the run consistency off the pit and possibly move my mark back when i run with the 14? I know i have the physical ability to get on the 14 but i just need to continue making these small tweaks. These vaults were the first i have ever consciously not thrown my head back and tried to drive more, so not only did the pole bend more, but both my arms were near straight at take off, which is something i didn't do before this practice (pretty much the fist clip of me in the video). Looks like another sunny day here so i am going to be back out with my video camera trying to fix more things (we rarely have days that we can use the pit due to inclement weather). Any more drills and advice is welcomed, thanks a bunch!
State of mind is everything

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:30 pm

duhcalvin wrote:So i should practice the run consistency off the pit and possibly move my mark back when i run with the 14? I know i have the physical ability to get on the 14 but i just need to continue making these small tweaks. These vaults were the first i have ever consciously not thrown my head back and tried to drive more, so not only did the pole bend more, but both my arms were near straight at take off, which is something i didn't do before this practice (pretty much the fist clip of me in the video). Looks like another sunny day here so i am going to be back out with my video camera trying to fix more things (we rarely have days that we can use the pit due to inclement weather). Any more drills and advice is welcomed, thanks a bunch!

Going from a 12'6" to a 14' pole is a huge leap in poles and not one I, nor would most other people on here, recommend. Once you fix the run/takeoff and you're knocking the bar off on the way up with your standards buried (31.5" or 80cm), then consider moving to a stiffer pole (not necessarily longer). Once you're on a pole 15lbs or so over your weight, consider a longer pole. If the 12'6 and the 14' are your only options and nothing else is availble to you, then start holding low on the 14' so you're still landing safely in the middle of the mats.

yoboe
PV Beginner

Unread postby yoboe » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:34 pm

im pretty sure no one would reccomend a foot and a half pole increase. you need to fix your run and steps before you go up pole lengths or wieghts; i would even go down a grip or two, high grips are overrated. it would be cool if you could get some video of your actual run too. basically all we can tell is that your way under and this makes your bottom arm crumple and your body lean back on your plant. stay taallll on your plant. with an upright body, your momentum will carry forward and up insted of being jerked to a stop. whats happening now is pretty dangerous. also get your coach to watch you instead of talking to other people ;)

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sun May 01, 2011 3:35 am

You get 6 out of 10 for the double spin on the pole on the last jump. But I suggest that you do not go to bigger poles or higher grips until you have some idea of what you are supposed to be doing because you are well on the way to getting hurt. Go back to sand pit take offs - without a plant - and do thousands of plant drills to get that right before you do yourself serious injury.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”