may 15 practice: help me invert! (please)

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
yoboe
PV Beginner

may 15 practice: help me invert! (please)

Unread postby yoboe » Sun May 16, 2010 6:37 pm

heres video from practice early sat morning. im the one in maroon shorts
i need help inverting. i know i just need to keep my hips rising when the pole starts to recoil, but im not sure how to make it happen.
tips or drills would be really helpful!

info:
me:
grip - 13 ft
age- jr in high school
-vaulting for one year

will: (blue shorts)
grip- 12ish?
age - jr
-vaulting for one year

first bungee is 10 6 , second is 11 6
thanks for watching!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRY-Q3ZjUb8

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Re: may 15 practice: help me invert! (please)

Unread postby KirkB » Sun May 16, 2010 6:56 pm

Instead of repeating what I almost always say to anyone in your predicament, I'm going to ask you to do some research on PVP and try to solve this yourself.

Search PVP for key words "bottom half top half kirk" and read what I say about how to invert. You'll find 8 pages of suggestions ... all similar. :idea:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

yoboe
PV Beginner

Unread postby yoboe » Sun May 16, 2010 7:03 pm

thanks! i have researched, i just thought there might be something im not catching :D

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sun May 16, 2010 7:58 pm

yoboe wrote:thanks! i have researched, i just thought there might be something im not catching :D

So what did you conclude, based on your research? :confused:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

yoboe
PV Beginner

Unread postby yoboe » Sun May 16, 2010 11:25 pm

well. based on my research... i conclude that my lower arm does not relax soon enough, and therefore my hips do not continue rising after my V shape. instead i stay in a V the whole time. i need to let my shoulders go underneath my body so that my hips come up and i can push them straight up instead of at the bar.
the only drills i can think of to help are bubka variations... and stiff low grip vaulting- i plan on doing that tomorow i may video tape it.

other than inverting, my trail leg could be straighter and i consistantly take off under :( i was told i was out but when im running by the time im free i would look like im out compared to standing at the box right? so now im under... my bottom arm is inconsistant in the time in the vault it bends, and without invirting i cant turn or push or hollow out right.

am i close to helping myself?

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Mon May 17, 2010 10:08 pm

yoboe wrote: ... i conclude that my lower arm does not relax soon enough, and therefore my hips do not continue rising after my V shape. instead i stay in a V the whole time. i need to let my shoulders go underneath my body so that my hips come up and i can push them straight up instead of at the bar.
the only drills i can think of to help are bubka variations... and stiff low grip vaulting- i plan on doing that tomorow i may video tape it.

other than inverting, my trail leg could be straighter and i consistantly take off under :( i was told i was out but when im running by the time im free i would look like im out compared to standing at the box right? so now im under... my bottom arm is inconsistant in the time in the vault it bends, and without invirting i cant turn or push or hollow out right.

You have SOME of it figured out ... but not all of it.

Your focus is still too much on the top half of your vault. To highlight this to you, I underlined the parts of the first paragraph that you emphasized. Not one word about improving your swing in the bottom half!

In your second paragraph, you do mention your trail leg and being "under" ... GOOD!

But then you go right back to talking about your bottom arm and turning, pushing, and hollowing out.

I'm not going to say that you should ignore all the technical points that I underlined ... but I will say that you need to de-emphasize them. FOCUS ON THE 20% THAT WILL GIVE YOU THE 80% IMPROVEMENT ... THAT'S YOUR SWING! (And everything BEFORE the swing.)

The drills that you're planning are good. :yes:

Kirk

yoboe
PV Beginner

Unread postby yoboe » Tue May 18, 2010 4:34 pm

the things ive noticed about my swing are it starts a little late, like by the time my leg is parrallel to the ground it should be at my hands. also, i dont think im completing my swing. i feel like the knee drive is good in my lead leg though

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”