Vaults at the Opening Frosh/Soph Meet

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
VegasVaulter
PV Newbie

Vaults at the Opening Frosh/Soph Meet

Unread postby VegasVaulter » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:30 pm

The video is located here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=D9e9XPsRLFY

I am the vaulter with the better running form (it should be pretty obvious, but if it's not, then I have the red hair).

This is the opening Frosh/Soph meet, the first of the season, and I tied my PR from last year, which was 10'. I didn't do as good as I expected to, but my step was off at the first two jumps at 10'6", and wasn't fixed until the final attempt. The camera angles are kind of crappy, but they are workable.

Some things I noticed about my vaults:
- I am too far in on most of them, which is causing me to be sucked under the pole
- I am swinging right off the ground, which is keeping me from getting my hips higher/getting inverted
- I am running nowhere near as fast as it seemed I was while I was running, but I can fix that
- I am pausing after I flip the pole to horizontal, instead of making it a smooth movement

I'm just looking for any advice on how to fix these, be it drills or whatever. Thanks for checking out the vid ;).

Oh, and any advice for the other vaulters would be appreciated. The taller guy with the long hair vaulted 10' last year as a freshy too, and the guy in the beginning is a Freshmen who shows promise.

Oh, and I almost forgot...
Grade: 10
How long you have been jumping: Started at the beginning of Freshman year, took about five months of vaulting club in total
What pole you are on (length and weight rating): 12' 140
How high you are gripping: about a foot away from the tip, maybe a bit more
What bar(s) you are attempting in the video: I'm attempting from 8' to 10'6" in 6" increments
Last edited by VegasVaulter on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PR: 10'

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:51 pm

WOW! Lot's to work on. First off, both of you are looking at the crossbar. Don't do that. Next, the dark haired jumper is blocking with the lower arm. Both runs are just that .......runs. To help with that utilize DJ's mid mark chart. The light haired jumper has nice high knees but as the bar went up, both of you started pushing and probably not adjusting your start point far enough back. That's why you both were under as the bar went up. Get BTB and read it and understand it.Light haired jumper needs to make the turn at the top. What you learn in BTB will help that become a reality. For Frosh/Sophs both of you have time to make the needed improvements. Both of you are definitely strong enough and athletic enough to be pretty good at this. You just need to get rid of the bad habits you have now and replace them with the good technical fundamentals that you'll find in Beginner to Bubka. Later..........Mike

VegasVaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby VegasVaulter » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Could you link me to the mid-mark chart?

PR: 10'

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:33 am

I'll do this one for you this time. Any of the recommended links on PVP can be found by going to the search icon at the top of the page. Click on that and it will take you to the search section of the forum. Type in what you are looking for and all of the threads regarding that will come up. The mid mark chart discussion is at

http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/vie ... mark+chart

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”