Some video that i could use some tips on.

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
yesterdayxlyed
PV Newbie

Some video that i could use some tips on.

Unread postby yesterdayxlyed » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOexaJoziCY

Well. This is me vaulting at my school the day after a horrible no-heighting. I felt so dumb not being able to jump 10 feet. I was on a 14 foot pole landing on 10. Extremely ridiculous if you ask me. Anyways, this is me and I'm on a 13'7 160 spirit. I'm holding at 12'7 and I only weigh 150. Its cold out. The standards are all the way back. The bar is at 11'. Tell me stuff....be harsh, i'll listen better.
Jump up.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:14 pm

You are looking at the crossbar which in turn doesn't allow your body to get to vertical which in turn eliminates any chance for pop off the top. Go to this address http://www.bubbapv.com/Pages/drill.htm . Learn and do this drill, it will help you at the top. Later.....Mike

spike gibeault
PV Pro

Unread postby spike gibeault » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:51 pm

You have a great run/plant, you rock back just fine, but when you rock back, your upper body stays almost vertical, you go into a pike form, or a V with your body, when you go into "the V" it is nearly impossible to get off the top of the pole, it causes you to "flag out" off the pole and you lose height. When you rock back, try to get your entire body inverted, so when you come out of the rockback your body is up against the pole before you come off, usually drills to get quicker rockbacks help with that problem.

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:04 pm

just one thing i noticed that noone has said is that your step appears to be about 6 inches under
pain is only temporary victory is forever

BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:04 pm

Don't think of it in terms as a rockback and extension...

Nitro is right, you are probably about a foot under... so once you work on getting your step out a bit, think of the vault as a swing like you are a gymnast on a high bar. You need to swing your entire body all the way round to the pole, and then turn and finish the jump... not rocking your feet back as far as they can go... thos how you get stuck in your jump...
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

yesterdayxlyed
PV Newbie

Thanks

Unread postby yesterdayxlyed » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:40 pm

You all had good advice.
What should I look at instead of the bar?
I am well aware of being inside....
The drills that I've been asked to do I can do.
And I had actually been doing those well before this video.

Here is what I look like doing the drill.
Tell me if I am doing it wrong because i would hate to be learning bad habits.
http://www.youtube.com/v/PmuBLtcRzw8
Jump up.

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:56 pm

Where to look? I look for the end of my pole and if my feet aren't there I'm out of position.

In the video your hip break is killing your otherwise decent vault. You're doing a ton of things right! Try to swing your hips directly to your hands instead of having to go through your feet and knees with your butt dragging. These certainly aren't perfect but they are kids at our clinic when Alan Launder stayed with me. http://www.polevaultworld.com/PVD_HighB ... ar7040.MPG

Alan calls it "covering the pole" when your hips are at your hands before the pole starts back. Your hip brak makes you miss that window.

As far as the drill goes, you're turning AWAY from your top hand which makes your body go away from the vertical pole. The objective is to turn around your hand, thus your body stays on the runway. Hope this helps. Please email me privately if you want some more detail on what I mean. Thanks and keep up the good work!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

Sebes
PV Whiz

Unread postby Sebes » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:28 pm

There's a lot of good stuff happening in this video: you're running fast, attacking well, and you're plant is awesome...you're a solid vaulter with potential. Here's my critique for what it's worth: I know you're aware that you're under so I won't say anything about that. Instead of keeping a swift long trail leg, you break it- that's cheating. Then you sit in a bucket until the pole's done unbending. You basically just sit there and let the pole elevate you...very passive...not good. You can tell you're in the bucket because your hips never rise up allowing you to become inverted. Maybe it's because you're looking at the cross bar, or you don't have the core strength? Anyway when the pole is done unbending you turn your body over the cross bar. So what I would do if I were you is first fix the step. Then focus on a long and powerful swing, and allow the hips to rise up. FInally, don't forget to use positive language in general. The words you used to describe your vault were "horrible, dumb, and ridiculous". This positive language stuff isn't just hippie gibberish. It actually makes a difference. Good luck...and don't forget to do ab workouts.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:46 pm

Check out those hands. You plant strong but as you swing, you push your hands out in front of you. It adds a little extra energy into the pole, making you feel good about getting a little more bend, but its the reason your hips stop moving. They run into your hands. Keep your hands all the way over your head even while you swing. You will feel your hips move much quicker which is a good thing. But dont let your hips go under the pole until your swing comes beneath your body. Thats the main reason i see you are not getting inverted. Listen to what everyone else says too. If you keep your hands in the right spot and cover the pole you will probably jump 6"+ over your handhold right away.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”