Please Crateque.. all help appreciated!(first meet)

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
CavVaulter99
PV Beginner

Please Crateque.. all help appreciated!(first meet)

Unread postby CavVaulter99 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:40 pm

In first video im 5'6 135lbs jumping on a 13' 155lb skypole

Bar is at 12'6 and im holding 12'5
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cX2CJ7_xnKc

In second video bar is at 13' and is only time i came off ground doing it
holding 12'5 on the 13' 155 skypole
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tdfJx0v71qA

In the third video i switched to a lot stiffer 13' 155lb carbon mystic and held at 12'11 but for some reason with this pole even though they are both 13' 155 i can only get up on the carbon occasionaly no matter where i hold.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wMqaD7lGUzo
Who ever said height matterd in Pole Vault?

PR 13'

VaultHouse.com

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:27 am

You raised your grip 6" - basically 2 hands. If you had raised it 1", you might have had a chance.

I'm sure the pole is noticeably stiffer, but giving yourself 6 more inches of grip to try to move to vertical just made it that much more difficult. Yes, it "feels" softer and "bends easier" when you do that, but it will move slower and you'll land closer to the box because you're trying to move a substantially greater amount of grip to vertical than you were before. Next time you do your pop-ups, use a grip you're comfortable with and landing safe and consistent with. Then jack it up 2 hands and see how it feels. It's easier to feel and understand the concept on a non-bending pole than a flexible pole.

...and it's CRITIQUE, not CRATEQUE :devil:
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

CavVaulter99
PV Beginner

Unread postby CavVaulter99 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:53 am

its same result even if i keep the hand hold the same.... if i hold the skypole at the top i crush it but if i hold the carbon at the top i barely break the plane.

PR 13'

VaultHouse.com

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:57 am

CavVaulter99 wrote:if i hold the carbon at the top i barely break the plane.

And if you hold the carbon at 12'5?
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

CavVaulter99
PV Beginner

Unread postby CavVaulter99 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:32 pm

if i hold carbon 12'5, exact same as skypole, i cant get in

PR 13'

VaultHouse.com

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:59 pm

In the first two, you ran yourself under and planted late it looked like. It was tough to tell in the third one. You've got a pretty good take-off, but then your swing is lacking a powerful drive leg with a whipping trail leg. So, you can't really move your hips up toward the bar effectively, which means you can't really even have a pull/push phase. Just work on getting your plant down early and taking off at the right spot. Then if you could do some highbar work you could clear up your swing to inversion.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:59 pm

CavVaulter99 wrote:if i hold carbon 12'5, exact same as skypole, i cant get in

What are the flex numbers on each pole? They should be engraved or labeled at the top of the pole. Decimal numbers.

CavVaulter99
PV Beginner

Unread postby CavVaulter99 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:25 pm

i think my plant was too late... yesterday i jumped and the 13' 155 carbon was easy, i even moved up to the top of a 13' 160 carbon... ive just always had a problme timing my plant and having it off to the side at take off

PR 13'

VaultHouse.com

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:54 pm

OK you need to find a pole and grip height that works for you period. It's probably not too beneficial to be switching around all the time, since different poles behave differently, as do grip heights. If you change your grip height like you are, you should be moving your steps back perhaps. If you think you're ready to simply move your grip up permanently, you should be clearing at least a foot over your current grip. Trying to grip it and rip it just isn't safe or effective. For now, I would say stick with a softer pole with a lower grip height. Once you can cap that pole effectively, move to the stiffer pole.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”