Indoor state last year review

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Ethan
PV Fan

Indoor state last year review

Unread postby Ethan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:42 pm

Tell me what you guys like and what to fix
My Stats
6'
150 at this time
13' 9" was a 14 but broke
160 weight rating
think first jump when it starts is 12'6
then i go all the way to 14 and an attempt at 14'6
Sorry for the happy mom in advance

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qKpYkk5lKKE

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:29 pm

A lot of wasted energy running halfway and stopping.

Ethan
PV Fan

Unread postby Ethan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:16 pm

ya thats something i have been working is stop just running through. Just go and ahead and complete the jump. Like i said this was last year some things have changed and some haven't. Thanks tho i have noticed that a lot big mental game sometimes.

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:33 pm

It might not be so much of a mental issue as it is an issue of an inconsistent run. From what I've learned, your brain is telling you that something is wrong when you're running up to the box, and that's why you stop. Usually that feeling is caused by being too close to the box at a certain point, being too far, late/too early plant, etc.

So maybe a good thing to practice is getting your run down more consistently. A VERY useful tool is the midmark chart, which can help to make your room more consistent. Try using the search function and look up the midmark chart. I don't think I can explain how to use this chart very well, but I'm sure that some other coaches/vaulters around here will gladly shed some light on this chart. The midmark chart will not only help make your run more consistent, but it'll also teach you how to accelerate properly. With an improved run, your plant improves, which improves your take off, which helps your swing, which improves your invert, etc.

I'm not a coach, but hopefully a more qualified person than I can verify my post.

Ethan
PV Fan

Unread postby Ethan » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:30 pm

YES this is defiantly something i have been struggling with trying to figure out my mid mark i think i finally got the general idea were it is now. But any help on finding it for sure would be greatt. some of it is i think that i get faster and stronger as season goes on and my stride/step length changes and have to find it again. but when i am still using the old mark it doesn't help me.

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Unread postby kev44000 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:57 pm

it looks like you have a double leg swing watch video of the jumpers that go over high bars
Last edited by kev44000 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

mid

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:29 pm

How high is your actual grip???

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:47 am

Where is your take off step? It looks like you are under to me. If so, thats going to kill any chance of substantial energy from a swing. Getting that step back 6"-1' will give you a lot more chance to finish a good take off and get into a good stretched position before you swing.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:46 am

kev44000 wrote:double leg swing watch video of the jumpers that go over high bars
Double Leg swing? thats no good..
Idk if you mean he has a double leg swing, but the double leg swing is no good. and here are some high jumpers. Image
That shows the full vault, but the swing is surely all one leg for these guys
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

kev44000
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Jack Whitt & Mark Hollis

Unread postby kev44000 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:00 am

:idea:
Last edited by kev44000 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:27 pm

it might just be me, but it looks like his knee is driven through takeoff

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:23 pm

We've had this convo before, and with all us high school kids trying to determine whether it is a double legged swing is like the blind leading the blind. Personally, i dont think he has much of a double-legged swing, but thats up to some of the elite coaches on here to decide, and up to Ethan's coach to fix. Just remember that whether you have a double legged swing or not, everything in the vault should being going "Up". Jump at the highest angle possible at take off, and keep everything long and quick.

Thats not your #1 issue that i could see from the video though. You need run and vault consistency. Pole runs and visualization in your sleep should build confidence on the runway, and you should be planting everytime down the runway. Do the same jump everytime, regardless of what bar you are at, and you will be on the right track.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”