My vault next to Bubka's

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
pool_man_007
PV Fan

My vault next to Bubka's

Unread postby pool_man_007 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:11 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVAqTNdaRHk

This is one of my practice vaults. I'm a senior in high school, 5'10" 165lbs vaulting on a 14' 180 spirit gripping around 13'8". I think the bottom half of my vault is descent, but i can never seem to finish on the top end. I know that i dont cover the pole very well. Critiques are desired, as i am trying to really put together the top of my vault and i'm having difficulty doing it. Core strength isnt an issue. I'm certainly not claiming to be anything close to Bubka, but i found it helpful to compare my video with one of his vaults to see where i need the most work.
---------grip it and rip it---------
*~DANGER HIGH VAULTAGE~*

Srrycowz
PV Beginner

Unread postby Srrycowz » Sat May 12, 2007 1:39 pm

look like you need to get more inverted and push off more

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat May 12, 2007 5:08 pm

Keep that top arm straight for longer. You are pulling too early with it and it is keeping your shoulders from getting back, and it is just killing everything on top of the pole.

Srrycowz
PV Beginner

Re: My vault next to Bubka's

Unread postby Srrycowz » Sat May 12, 2007 5:20 pm

pool_man_007 wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVAqTNdaRHk

This is one of my practice vaults. I'm a senior in high school, 5'10" 165lbs vaulting on a 14' 180 spirit gripping around 13'8". I think the bottom half of my vault is descent, but i can never seem to finish on the top end. I know that i dont cover the pole very well. Critiques are desired, as i am trying to really put together the top of my vault and i'm having difficulty doing it. Core strength isnt an issue. I'm certainly not claiming to be anything close to Bubka, but i found it helpful to compare my video with one of his vaults to see where i need the most work.

o by the way your knee drive is pretty goooodd :yes:
"If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done"

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Sat May 12, 2007 5:43 pm

Swing up more and try to get vertical. Other than that and what everyone else said, it looked decent to me.

pool_man_007
PV Fan

Unread postby pool_man_007 » Sat May 12, 2007 11:45 pm

thanks for the feed back everybody, i'll try to work on being a little more patient with the pull to allow myself to drop my shoulders :)

*~DANGER HIGH VAULTAGE~*

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Sun May 13, 2007 1:10 pm

No prob. I just hope I was helpful.

pool_man_007
PV Fan

Unread postby pool_man_007 » Tue May 15, 2007 11:13 pm

every little piece of information helps

*~DANGER HIGH VAULTAGE~*

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Wed May 16, 2007 12:26 am

First off, i would like to nice that is a nice example of a free take off which can be very difficult to do :yes:

Okay lets see

your hands are pretty tall at take off, however, you lose your hips right away. you need to work on driving the chest up and forward into the jump while letting your right arm drag back behind your head. This will put you in a more powerful position to swing from and thus improve the rest of your vault.

Accomplishing this however is a little difficult. First i would learn to do one handers. Simple carry the pole on your shoulder and as you approach the box, plant with the top and hand and jump the pole up as hard as you can. While you do this, force your hips to stay behind the pole. Once you can do that, continue to raise your grip higher and higher. If you can learn to hold really high in this drill, it will fix the problem becca mentioned, about pulling with your top hand.

Do you know why you dont want to pull with your top hand?!? because the whole goal of pole vaulting is to move the pole to vertical. so if when you take off, you pull the pole down.... your putting energy into the system in the wrong way.

Okay Next. You ahve a nice long trail leg. However, after your leg passes through the chord of the pole (when your hand hip and foot make a line to the box), you need to role your hips upwards. This is why your hips are low in the vault and you cant get good extension upwards, and why your flag towards the bar. To do this, i suggest learning on short run starting with a straight pole. Take lots of video and compare feelings to results.

Looks like you have a lot of good stuff going. Keep learning and making those improvements!!!
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

pool_man_007
PV Fan

Unread postby pool_man_007 » Thu May 17, 2007 2:40 pm

Thanks alot, that is exactly the kind of post that i like to see, not only telling me WHAT i'm doing wrong, but HOW to fix it. once again thanks a million, that should help alot

*~DANGER HIGH VAULTAGE~*

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”