Need some help moving the pole

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
AvariceDemons
PV Wannabe
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Open Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.65m
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Need some help moving the pole

Unread postby AvariceDemons » Tue May 08, 2007 8:50 pm

Heres two of my jumps at a 15' bungee. First jump I got more height but couldn't move the pole enough and came up short. Second jump I moved the pole better but got a lot less height on the jump.
Any tips on moving the pole better without losing the height, or is the less height just a result of moving through better?

1st- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub3oFw3Y4Ms
2nd- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIlirgiNH6o
Anything not worth doing is worth not doing well. Think about it.
- Elias Schwartz

PR: 4.65m

CooperPV
PV Wannabe
Expertise: College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Don Cooper

Unread postby CooperPV » Wed May 09, 2007 12:46 am

Your second jump was fine ... you improved your drive from the first jump, and were fine around the bar. You have a great plant, with only one down side .. you allow your chin to get sucked in to your chest. keep your head up, i know this because i had this problem last year. I would get my plant up and my chin would be in my chest .. where as you get your chin up that opens up your chest allowing you to continue a big..full plant. By doing that i really think you could go to a bigger stick and that in its self will permit you to make an improvement!!

Good luck!!
It's just you and the bar

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed May 09, 2007 4:26 pm

I agree, your take off was simply better on the second jump. You move the pole very well, it seems that you keep pressure on the pole (or move the pole) the whole time. Honestly i like most of your jump, i wouldnt change much. I would say work on your take off, you have the speed to jump 16' right now, but you need to hit the take off hard and throw the runway behind you. Really set yourself in an inverted "C" to allow for a more powerful swing as well. That will get you on some bigger poles. Then i would say the only thing right now i could say would really help you might be to work on straightening out during your inversion. You do it very well, but you could be a little more connected and inverted on the pole. Put yourself in a position to absorb all the energy you put into that pole. I sense you loose a little by not staying straight on your inversion.

But awesome jumps!! You are jumping very high and sound like you are ready to go even higher :). good luck!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Neutron
PV Newbie

Unread postby Neutron » Wed May 09, 2007 6:02 pm

I agree that you have a good base on your vault. There are generally three ways to increase pole speed. Lowering your grip, going to a smaller pole, or increasing the energy going into the pole through increased speed or a better plant and take off. Your second jump looks like it was on the same pole and same grip so you obviously improved on the speed or take off. The take off and plant looked about the same so it is my guess that the speed was better.

I would suggest that you think about "getting tall" coming into the take off in the last 4 or 5 steps. This is the done by thinking about incresing your step cadence and driving rour knees up and down as opposed to stretching on your last steps. This puts you in a more upright position and will increase your angle of take off.

I also agree that your head angle is driving you down. Remember in any athletic eneavor, your body will follow your head. Think about throwing flips on a diving board or on a tramp. You certainly can't throw a back flip with your head down.

I would suggest that as you plant your eyes should follow your hands out and be looking at an angle between your hands. This not only will load the pole better, it will allow you to see the bar for a second on the way to your rock back position so it will help with your timing in coming out over the bar.

Have a great rest of the season. :D

Good Luck!

Neutron

AvariceDemons
PV Wannabe

Unread postby AvariceDemons » Tue May 15, 2007 9:38 pm

Also, the pole is a 14'7" 165 UCS Spirit, Im holdin around 13'9"ish

- Elias Schwartz

jcoover
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Nicholas Panozzo

Unread postby jcoover » Tue May 15, 2007 10:37 pm

hey man your jump looks really good. for now id just keep it simple.

if you are thinking about working on your drive, i would say that two things will help you. you need to start fighting the pole sooner, as soon as the pole hits the back of the box. secondly, the left hand needs to be higher. check out gibilisco...

those are some pretty high hands.....

good luck man! keep up the good work.
"We can, by God, let our demons loose and just wail on!" - John L Parker

AvariceDemons
PV Wannabe

Unread postby AvariceDemons » Wed May 23, 2007 6:49 pm

Alright Ive been praticin a lot lately and gettin better. This is another video of me jumpin, seems better than before. It is more or less the same pole, height difference but same stiffness. Only the flex is 21 for the pole in the first 2 jumps and it is 15.4 on this one. Let me know what you think.

height: 15'3" but the bungee hangs down around 15' or 15'1"
pole: 14' 175lb spirit, 15.4 flex
grip: 13'9, around the same grip as the other jumps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8Lkf8FExi0

- Elias Schwartz

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”