Need help getting upside down :)

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:11 am

If its not a passive phase, please describe how exactly there is energy behind added to the jump by pushing the pole forward. As far as i know there are two ways to add energy to a jump: The take off, obviously the largest source of energy that comes from the speed and angle you jump. The better positions you hit immediately after a take off, the more energy FROM the take off will be added to the jump. Theres still the same energy, but hitting better positions like hands over your head and a leading chest will allow as much of that energy to be added without leaking. The second energy source comes directly from the contraction of your muscles as your swing. I might not have the vocabulary correct, but i think that it creates centripital force as your swing rotates fast underneath you. Again, the positions you hit are not what add the energy, just a means for the energy you are creating to be best added into the pole with minimal leakage. Finally, pulling is not really adding much energy to the pole, because if you are on the right pole, it is already recoiling as you start to pull. This just increases your upward velocity at the bar.

Anyway, thats pretty much how i view the vault, and it may or may not be correct, but based on that, i hope you can see how i have a problem with you saying that pushing the pole is an active phase during the jump. A passive phase is nearly impossible to avoid, but you just dont want to stay there for long. Agapit had an amazing post about the continuous chain model, and in it he talks about for there to be no passive phases, you need to constantly add energy. That would require a quick take off and instant C position, followed immediately by your swing. He talks about elite jumpers getting shivers down their spines when they get a mental image of that kind of thing, since thats what it would take to jump 6.40m.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

apsully
PV Fan

Unread postby apsully » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:33 am

I think most guys on here, when talking about passive phases, aren't actually using the word as it relates to physics. I think most of them, myself included, use it in the way that passive means you yourself are not doing anything active.

As for your question, you kinda hit the answer yourself. It's not ADDING energy to the system, as that is impossible after you leave the ground and finish your swing. It's conserving that energy. You do this just by hitting the correct C position.
"Grip it 'n' rip it"

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:50 am

Thank you. I completely agree. This phase I'm calling follow-through is more or less just transferring your take-off energy to the pole. Here's a better way to look at it; would you pull the pole in towards you after take-off, or would you keep it out? You keep it out! That's follow-through! It's just transferring the energy from take-off by keeping your hands high, which will rotate the pole. I think I've finally made my point.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:05 pm

I think we finally agree.... lol
We had to find out our definitions of a passive movement. In the vault i always thought a passive movement was one that was not directly adding energy to the vault. In this case, hitting the right positions allows the energy transfer more smoothly, but doesnt add it by itself. Im glad we got that figured out lol.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:40 pm

Seriously! :P
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

yesterdayxlyed
PV Newbie

Unread postby yesterdayxlyed » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:29 pm

You don't really have a swing.
You jsut pull your trail leg in right after takeoff.
I would know.
I do the same exact thing.
Jump up.

bushy_12
PV Nerd

Unread postby bushy_12 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:36 pm

New Video w/ Pics (8/5/07)

Please give suggestions. Thank you.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”