Please Help Me out w/ my jump, Video

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
Kolber
PV Fan

Please Help Me out w/ my jump, Video

Unread postby Kolber » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:29 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3z611nbtzQk&search=kolb

I think those are jumps at 12 and 12'6, please give me advise, im on a 14 foot pacer fx 150lb, im holding at about 12'9 on the pole
greatness=greatness

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Re: Please Help Me out w/ my jump, Video

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:36 pm

Kolber wrote:http://youtube.com/watch?v=3z611nbtzQk&search=kolb

I think those are jumps at 12 and 12'6, please give me advise, im on a 14 foot pacer fx 150lb, im holding at about 12'9 on the pole
when you swing, you arent bending at the hips enough, you are kind of swinging at the same time as you drop your shoulders to the pole. Think about swinging until your (straight) trail leg hits your top hand before your start dropping your shoulders. This isnt actually what will happen unless you are incredibly flexible, but it will help you visualize what should happen. Second, which may be cause by the first, you arent coming back far enough on the pole. This is why everytime the pole recoils it shoots your feet horizontally not vertically. Work on staying farther back on the pole and waiting there for the pole to release. You should be staying on the pole a lot longer. Nice jumps though, your swing looks good coming under your body. You can go very high on that pole, i held at 12'9 on a 14 foot pole and cleared 14'6, so if you stay back long enough it will throw you!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Kolber
PV Fan

Unread postby Kolber » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:45 pm

thanks, it feels weird but if feels i get them back far enuf but wen i watch vids i dont, we dont have a vaulting coach so im trying to research as much as i can , ive taught myself so for
greatness=greatness

Anti-Gravity
PV Beginner

Unread postby Anti-Gravity » Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:36 am

1 - Your trail leg is bent as you swing. A bigger stick will require a full swing. Time index late 22 early 23 on your video.

2 - When you come off the top of the pole you "lever off " insted of pulling through the top of the pole. Look at yur left arm just as your knees go above the bar. You are pushing away (towards the runway) with your left while pulling with your right. You "lever away" from the pole and your hips are driven down. Time index 24 on your video

Keeping the left tucked inside the pole and pulling along the axis of the pole will guide your hips up instead of out. Stop trying to go over the bar and focus on going up the pole, you could vault over your grip tomorrow by changing this.

3 - Who caught your pole???? :(

Hope this was helpful!! :yes:

Kolber
PV Fan

Unread postby Kolber » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:11 am

now wen i start my jump and then rotate my hips, were should i be looking? and what should i feel?
greatness=greatness

Anti-Gravity
PV Beginner

Unread postby Anti-Gravity » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:41 am

Complete your swing up by physically touching your top hand to your shins, left shin in particular. Yours come close, but you begin pushing with the left hand an instant before they touch.

The key to extension is following the pole. I would focus on my top hand, keeping my top arm straight, and pull myself close to the pole with the left hand (left elbow inside the pole) as the pole unbends.
Pull the right thigh/hip to the top hand with the left arm while keeping the right arm straight. Imagine that there is an 18" hoop attached to the top of your pole. You have to get your hips through this hoop before you can pull with the right hand.

Remember, you should extend along the axis of the pole, not up, and definitely not to the bar.

skivaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby skivaulter » Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:56 pm

I've been trying to fix the same thing that you are having problems with. You look at the bar. The vault is good, you load the pole and start the swing, you dont get competely inverted though, you shoot out forward and into the bar because you look at it. Don't look at the bar until the very end
"Look at your hand like the secret of Life is written on it."

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:54 pm

A little thing to think about that helped with with this, When you swing, swing as hard as you would if you were trying to do a backflip, and thats what it should feel like when you are back far enough, because your hips are over your shoulders. Once that is aligned, its 20 times easier to stay on top of the pole. Practice this motion on rings and notice how you can bring your feet over your shoulders, but if you try to close off from there your feet shoot out forward, JUST like in the jump.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Vault Chick
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tye Harvey

Vault advice

Unread postby Vault Chick » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:58 am

the one thing I noticed was that you can stay on your pole a little bit longer. You are shooting your legs toward the cross bar, and aren't waiting for the pole to get to verticle. Stay back on the pole longer, and keep shooting "up", not toward the crossbar.

euroeva
PV Fan

Unread postby euroeva » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:42 pm

umm, 1st. its very noticable, idk if you see it though. your shoulders. you're not vertical. your looking at the pole yu should see, the runway behind you when you're fully vertical. also i think you bent your leg after u get up. and u might be getting up before the pole is vertical. idk. do you have a coach?

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”