Help on Getting Inverted

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
PRinthePV
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker/Renaud Lavillenie

Re: Help on Getting Inverted

Unread postby PRinthePV » Wed May 25, 2011 3:53 pm

altius wrote:The second practice jump looks good -definitely on the way. Stop thinking about what your hands/arms are doing and concentrate on CONNECTING - LOCKING TOGETHER the legs and trunk when you swing up.

Thank you for your reply.
I believe that I have been doing that lately and I think that's why my second video looks so much better than the first, and it's nice to know that I am moving in the right direction, but I have one more question: What are some things I can improve on in my plant to help me get in a stronger position to execute the swing up? I know I used to pull with my left arm which would restrict me when swinging. Am I still doing that?

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Unread postby tsorenson » Wed May 25, 2011 4:50 pm

PRinthePV wrote:Thank you for your reply.
I believe that I have been doing that lately and I think that's why my second video looks so much better than the first, and it's nice to know that I am moving in the right direction, but I have one more question: What are some things I can improve on in my plant to help me get in a stronger position to execute the swing up? I know I used to pull with my left arm which would restrict me when swinging. Am I still doing that?

Your hands are half a step behind on the planting motion. You need to have the pole already flipped over at your 3rd-to-last footstrike, so that your last two steps can be quicker, taller, and more explosive; and you will be able to stretch up through your takeoff a lot more. Practice this on your walking plants, pole runs, and short-run vaulting (it's hard to learn it solely on the long run, like most technical aspects)

Good luck, looks like you're on the right track. Don't worry about your left arm pushing or pulling, it will do several things and it's best not to focus on it. Your swing looks decent and will improve as your plant/takeoff improves, putting you in a better position to swing from.

Tom

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Wed May 25, 2011 10:16 pm

Although not directly related to your initial problem - you do need to improve your plant. Simple guidelines are - when you are flat on the right foot the right hand should be just above the head - knuckle of right thumb touching the top of the forehead - not on the shoulder. Then the right arm should be fully extended BEFORE the left foot hits -not still flexed.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

PRinthePV
PV Beginner
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker/Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby PRinthePV » Thu May 26, 2011 6:40 pm

altius wrote:Although not directly related to your initial problem - you do need to improve your plant. Simple guidelines are - when you are flat on the right foot the right hand should be just above the head - knuckle of right thumb touching the top of the forehead - not on the shoulder. Then the right arm should be fully extended BEFORE the left foot hits -not still flexed.

That's probably why I'm leaning back so much at take off. That explains a lot. Thank you, I got a lot to do over the next few months.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”