Critique plz

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
PVGuy89
PV Beginner

Critique plz

Unread postby PVGuy89 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:33 am

Me running for six lefts (srry that you cant see the rest of my run)
i just decided to active on PVP
so hello everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mP-wxn5zsE

please critique!! go all out!!!

Thanks. :D

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Re: Critique plz

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:33 am

It's difficult to see with just one video, especially when we cant see the cadence of your run or the majority of the pole drop. But right now it looks like you are running into the pole when you should be jumping up more at take off.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

jump!
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'3"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby jump! » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:08 pm

from what i can see, you have a good knee drive and a pretty good pole speed coming in. The first thing i would try to correct would be the bottom arm collapsing.

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:39 pm

Read my posts under the advanced forum, I put some videos and quotes up. But to re-state what I said earlier, the upward push with the arms should turn into a drive with the body (release the shoulders, push the chest through, open the body, and keep the pressure going into the top arm)
On a whole new level 6-20-09

PVGuy89
PV Beginner

Unread postby PVGuy89 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:08 am

KYLE ELLIS wrote:Read my posts under the advanced forum, I put some videos and quotes up. But to re-state what I said earlier, the upward push with the arms should turn into a drive with the body (release the shoulders, push the chest through, open the body, and keep the pressure going into the top arm)

Hey,

so do i need to have better chest "penetration" by pushing by chest through and i also believe i didnt fully release my shoulders i think and ill update more with a whole run and a swing cause i do believe i do add upward pressure after i take off and start the swing. I just recently fixed my bottom arm.... before i did absolutely nothing with it and now im trying to push it upward with my right hand so i would stay behind the pole better.

PVGuy89
PV Beginner

Unread postby PVGuy89 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:11 am

Here's another video with a full run 6L

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2frvBwwcYGs

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:07 pm

That’s pretty good, definitely a good starting point... But now what I see is that your run is by far your biggest problem!! Figure out how to put a good run with that takeoff and you will be ready to jump high.
In your run I see poor leaning forward posture, incorrect pole carry and drop.... This leads to long slow last steps, and you can never truly have a good takeoff with those things happening.
The run has to start and continue with an upright posture, not leaning forward or back.. Carry the bottom hand under the pole (supporting it with the skeletal system), chest up, and let that top hand come free of the hip (carrying the top hand on the hip with the left hand in front will pull you forward encouraging you to stride out)

Basically run like this http://www.mansfieldathletics.com/pole_ ... Video1.mov
On a whole new level 6-20-09

PVGuy89
PV Beginner

Unread postby PVGuy89 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:32 am

KYLE ELLIS wrote:That’s pretty good, definitely a good starting point... But now what I see is that your run is by far your biggest problem!! Figure out how to put a good run with that takeoff and you will be ready to jump high.
In your run I see poor leaning forward posture, incorrect pole carry and drop.... This leads to long slow last steps, and you can never truly have a good takeoff with those things happening.
The run has to start and continue with an upright posture, not leaning forward or back.. Carry the bottom hand under the pole (supporting it with the skeletal system), chest up, and let that top hand come free of the hip (carrying the top hand on the hip with the left hand in front will pull you forward encouraging you to stride out)

Basically run like this http://www.mansfieldathletics.com/pole_ ... Video1.mov

Thanks this helps a lot. This is definitely the first thing i'll be working on probably going to take me a while to fix cause i've been running like that since forever. but here's another video from that same practice the pole is kind of small. was scared i was going to miss the mat :crying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLIwx7Y572E

I was thinking i should go to 5L cause that pole is a 14' 3'' 185 and the next pole my school has is a 15' 6'' 175 >.> or a 16' 165 and ive tried those poles last year and things didnt turn out for the best.... lol but i think i swing pretty well but i might need work on my extension and also i've been working on my bottom arm still a working progress before i was a "fiber head" with no push upward with the bottom arm. but thats all i see so far oh and of course the run pole drop and carry is a problem. thanks for all the input! :D

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”