Recent jumps

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
g00eY
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter

Recent jumps

Unread postby g00eY » Tue May 05, 2009 7:57 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGqxWZnOlE8

Here is some jumping from last week. I started blowing through the pole I'm using in all these jumps, so my coach is going to pick up some new poles today from a different school. The pole in these videos is a 13'6" 150 and I'll be getting a 14' 145 and 150 today.

I think my plant is slightly less forward than it used to be, but I still see my top arm popping out there just a bit. Also, I think my trail leg is straighter than it was in previous videos, but there is still a LOT of work to be done there.
PR - 13'0"

yankee814
PV Nerd
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Hooker

Re: Recent jumps

Unread postby yankee814 » Tue May 05, 2009 9:50 pm

I'm no expert, but as the bar goes up it looks like you cut your swing off more and more by turning too early. I can't be sure if its because you are blowing through your pole or if there is a technique problem. Just keep an eye on that. You looked real good when the bar was lower.
Just my two cents
Sophomore 2nd year Vaulter

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue May 05, 2009 10:03 pm

It looks like you are pulling with your arms before you are inverted. You DO want to pull, but only after your hips pass vertical. So think about swinging your hips to your hands, not your hands to your hips. Basically try to stay tall with your arms during your swing, and dont pull until your hips reach your hands. I hope that makes sense.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

g00eY
PV Nerd

Unread postby g00eY » Tue May 05, 2009 10:23 pm

Hey, thanks for both your comments. I should have a vault day tomorrow (weather permitting), so I'll be trying to get on a 14' 145.

vault3rb0y, that makes a lot of sense, thanks. I'll try to apply it tomorrow and see if I can get some video too.
PR - 13'0"

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue May 05, 2009 10:39 pm

We gotta get you doing more pole runs... With the pole at the CORRECT angle.

That's more important than anything off the ground. :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue May 05, 2009 11:13 pm

thats true, and as a note for after your season is completed, you should do tons of pole runs and correct drops. At this point in the season, it would be so hard to break habits in your run, that i think you are stuck with things the way you are, and can work on some off the ground issues. Thats just IMHO.... that there are a number of things ANY vaulter can work on at any one time. Eventually you have to say "ok my run and plant are looking pretty good, lets work on some off the ground things". It's up to debate when the right time is to switch focus, but it generally comes later in the season.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed May 06, 2009 6:56 am

Batman, maybe you'd care to tell everyone what your situation will be this summer? Someone might have some good advice for you, other than what I've mentioned already re that... :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

g00eY
PV Nerd

Unread postby g00eY » Wed May 06, 2009 8:34 pm

A little update. No video, sorry. AP testing has been messing with my memory - I forgot my camera at home!

I got on the 14' 145 today gripping 13'6" and I totally blew through it. I almost shot out of the pit on a half drill. I moved back to 7 lefts (against PP's advice, I know) just to give it a shot and it was a very comfortable transition for me. The next poles up that we have in my range are a 14' 155, 14'6" 145, and a 14'6" 150. I've tried the 14/155 before but I haven't been able to make it in... maybe I'll make it in from 7 lefts?

This summer I'm going to Taiwan for 2 months. I'm not sure what I can do there for PV because I'm pretty sure I won't have a pole unless I find one there. There are a lot of tracks in the area that I can do speed work on... but other than that, any ideas? After I get back there are only 3 weeks until I go off to college at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Whether or not I get to vault there, I guess, depends on how well I do in these last 2-3 weeks of my season. UIUC is a D1 school, so it might be tough to get on the team, but I heard there is a track club at UIUC that I can join.
PR - 13'0"

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu May 07, 2009 9:58 am

Dont go from the 14' 145 to the 14' 155 unless you are jumping at a bungee with the standards PAST 80 (ideally you could remove them and put them around 100). If you are crushing the 145 then maybe, but dont even consider it unless you are blowing through CONSISTENTLY with the standards on 80.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu May 07, 2009 1:11 pm

g00eY wrote: but I heard there is a track club at UIUC that I can join.

Most track clubs do not have pole vaulting, you'll need to check on that specifically.

g00eY
PV Nerd

Unread postby g00eY » Thu May 07, 2009 9:31 pm

I kept blowing through the 14' 145 so I moved up to a 14'6" 145 gripping 13'9". Here is one jump at a 14' bungie from today. Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDgOkCcqlVk

Yea, I'll look into the track club to see if they have PV. I know the Gill Factory is also down in Champaign... does Gill have a vault club?
PR - 13'0"

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu May 07, 2009 11:01 pm

swing your trail leg straight and just as fast, you'll find it even easier to keep your pole speed moving. You get stuck trying to invert because the pole starts recoiling too soon. Don't give that pole any chance to recoil, work ahead of it! good jump tho.

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”