First meet! please critique, thanks!

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
BethelPV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Billy Olson

Unread postby BethelPV » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:31 pm

Yes, but its also tough to do that from a 10 step... you aren't carrying much speed at all and its hard to get a good acceleration in 4 total steps before getting to your last 6. So in essence the shorter the approach, the closer the "mid" should be. I know from my 4 right approach I start at 53 feet, where from my 7 or 8 right approach, my mid is 50'6". So from my longer approach, i cover almost the exact same distance from my long approach as i do in my short approach, in 2 less steps! So that is something you need to take into consideration, because you are striding out quite a bit in your last 6 steps still...
Vault with a purpose... Vault for God!!

BritDawg
PV Whiz
Expertise: Club Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Current Vaulter

Unread postby BritDawg » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:02 pm

BethelPV wrote:Yes, but its also tough to do that from a 10 step... you aren't carrying much speed at all and its hard to get a good acceleration in 4 total steps before getting to your last 6. So in essence the shorter the approach, the closer the "mid" should be. I know from my 4 right approach I start at 53 feet, where from my 7 or 8 right approach, my mid is 50'6". So from my longer approach, i cover almost the exact same distance from my long approach as i do in my short approach, in 2 less steps! So that is something you need to take into consideration, because you are striding out quite a bit in your last 6 steps still...

exactly what I was going to say! Your mid is going to move back a little as you add more steps to your run, and vise versa. You're only on a 10 step approach so your mid is going to be closer than what the list says. I know that your worried about matching your grip to your mid right now, but it will be much easier once you get back to around 14 steps and you're able to reach full acceleration The bottom line is, you have to be comfortable and consistant. CApv2007 mentioned that you shouldn't worry too much about your step being on and that it's ok to be under, but that is not entirely true. You should have a mid that allows you to shorten your last 6 steps instead of stretching for your take off, and you SHOULD worry about hitting your mid AND your take off.
Isaiah 40:31

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:09 pm

True story. just my 6-out mid is 36'6" ideally from just 7 strides total holding 14'6", and just coming in to 5 strides total, my ideal is about 34'6-35'
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:16 pm

vault3rb0y wrote:True story. just my 6-out mid is 36'6" ideally from just 7 strides total holding 14'6", and just coming in to 5 strides total, my ideal is about 34'6-35'

Those are 4 step mid marks ;)

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”