please review

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
essxpv91
PV Beginner

please review

Unread postby essxpv91 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:21 pm

this is the best jump that i have on film. its 12'0 and from the video i can see a couple major things i do wrong including pumping the pole not keeping my trail leg straight and swinging and not keeping my right knee up. please tell me anything else u see.
weight 143 lbs
pole 13' essx 167.8 lbs
hand grip around 12 10'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRWF2IewgY4

essxpv91
PV Beginner

Unread postby essxpv91 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:27 pm

oh and im a sophomore and im around 5 10'

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:18 pm

I think you should try to pump your arms less, it usually results in an inconsistent plant. Try instead to maybe "flap" your arms a little.

also at plant, your *top* arm needs to be straight. it should be above your head creating a rigid plant position.

those are my thoughts

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:10 am

Your run will need to change eventually, so if you have enough time before you start your meets go ahead and fix that with pole runs.

As for when you leave the ground, you pull down with your bottom arm to start your swing. Keep both hands pushing high above your head and let your hips initiate and move your swing. That pole you are on will magically become WAY too soft for you. You cant practice pushing upwards with your hands very well in a pop up, so get a soft pole and hold low on some short runs. Your bottom arm should not be locked, but still putting upward pressure on the pole. Do at least 200 the right way. The hardest thing you are going to have to learn to do is be consistent with doing it the right way. Reverting back to the wrong way is going to be very easy to do. Good luck!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

golfdane
PV Pro

Unread postby golfdane » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:42 am

Next time, please don't zoom in on the athlete :)

Both Sooch90 and Vault3rboy has put up some really good observations.
Practice pole runs and plants to get rid of pumping and to build a consistent and fast run-up. Be sure to push pole up and slightly forward with a straight top arm at powerfull takeoff. Remember that the run-up and take-off is the first and most powerfull stage of the rocket you are trying to launch.

You appear to be under by something like a foot (based on your arm being bent and way behind your head), but it's hard to tell for sure because of the zoomed in video.
Definately not a free take-off, which is what you should strive for (that pole hits back of box at the same time you leave ground).

Firm, rigid body at take-off!!!

Other than that, do I believe you might take this far, if you can build more speed. You seem well coordinated and agile, which are important factors IMHO.

essxpv91
PV Beginner

Unread postby essxpv91 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:38 pm

thanks guys. ya my mom was filiming with my digital camera so i def gotta tell her to not zoom cuz its to close and ruins the quality. ill def try working out what you said

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:26 pm

lol i feel ya on that man... it took my parents 2 year to learn not to try to zoom in to see my face on every jump. Good luck and jump high!
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”