need all the help I can get

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
PV1328
PV Beginner

need all the help I can get

Unread postby PV1328 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:27 pm

http://www.treemo.com/users/PV1328/channel/item/271964

thats last summer.....
attempting 9 feet i think..
9th grade
holding at around 11

i know my form is pretty ugly but without a coach i just kind of wing it and hope for the best check out eh other ones too..please.. thanks in advance for those who do :)

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:47 pm

Honestly, its not ugly at all! For a 9 foot jump you do a lot of things well. Im not as experienced with helping someone at your stage as most of the guys on here, but i can see this-

You have very good pole speed, in other words you do not get jammed at the box, and your pole moves to vertical very quickly. It might be because you are hitting a very good take off, or because you jump off the ground well, or both. But after you leave the ground, you immediately want to bring your take off leg up and shoot it at the bar. Keep that leg straight and be tall at the plant, then keep your trail leg straight when you swing. Practice it on the rings to get the feel for how much strength it will take to get all the way upside down (not very much if you swing your trail leg back BEFORE you swing it underneath your body). Hit your take off correctly and swing with a straight trail leg, rather than trying to force yourself into an inverted position, and you will start going up poles very fast. Just make sure you swing all the way back before coming out at the bar, you have a lot more hieght if you can keep coming back and get your whole body upside down. You will at least jump your handhold, around 10'3 right now.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:05 pm

Hey quit landing on your feet!! You're going to hurt yourself doing that.

Other than that, you are off to a good start. Keep up the running workouts and keep listening to your coaches.

PV1328
PV Beginner

Unread postby PV1328 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:15 am

yea yea i know not to land on my feet... already hurt myt ankles twice but i forget sometimes....

thanks for the advice I will def work on it

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”