13' review help with form on top

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
spike gibeault
PV Pro

13' review help with form on top

Unread postby spike gibeault » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:42 pm

This is a short video of me getting 13' and then i have an attempt at 13' 6"
Any help on how to get more off the top of the pole would be appreciated because im sick of seeing people on a pole their weight jump way over their hand hold
my weight that day was 110 (.3) the pole was a 13' 155 pound pacer mystic i was holding at the weight label (12'10" i think) with an 8 inch box
p.s. the first camera angle is a little down the runway but the second is good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eUQqfmJu0o
"My biggest fear is my lack of fear."-Mat Hoffman

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:42 pm

wow awesome jumps! You do a lot of things really well, but im sure you already know about that, so ill get right to your question.

You hit pretty strong positions, and i get the feeling that you do a bit of a tuck and shoot because if you dont, you maybe have a hard time catching up with the pole on top? Thats going to change if you can hit that take off harder. You are able to get on these relatively large poles for your weight because you hit such nice positions, but the strength on your take off and swing need to be increased. You get through on the pole because you are not a short vaulter and you are holding 12'10, but with a stronger take off and swing, you wont have to tuck and shoot and even if you dont move up a pole, you will probably jump 13'6-14'. I know its a pretty vague tip to "work on take off and swing" but i only say that because your swing does not carry to the top of the pole.

The second part will come easier if you do the first (above), but on the top, you kind of wait before you extend your body upward, and flag your legs a little toward the bar. You also arent fully connected with the pole on your inversion. Swing all the way to the pole and pull your top hand right up the side of your body, and keep your legs inverted until you are almost at peak hieght. Keep pressure on the pole at all times until it gives you your energy back to you. I noticed the pole is shaking back and forth, showing a loss of energy in the pole, before you are off the top of the pole on a few jumps. Keep that pressure and keep your body inverted until your peak hieght. Remember, you get on big poles because you are fast, but that take off, swing, and staying in line with the pole is what helps you the most with your top end.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

AeroVault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.95m

Unread postby AeroVault » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:56 am

First, your cadence looks very good. The timing for your penultimate and takeoff step look like they set you up well for the plant. However, your step may be a little under. I'm going based on where your toe is compared to your top hand, and the fact that your hips quickly move in front of the rest of your body.

As for the plant itself, your arms should be extended a little sooner. Your right (takeoff) foot contacts the ground before your plant is all the way up which hurts your takeoff angle. Good things happen in the air when you do things right on the ground. I think I stole that from Don Hood, but he's right. If you can keep your hips back and lead with your chest, then get a solid reverse C, you'll be able to add more energy with your swing which will give you more time and speed to get inverted.

One more tip to help with the reverse C... If you relax your left (top) shoulder after takeoff, it allows your top hand to come back even farther. You should see daylight between your left tricep and the back of your head. Keep pressing upwards with both hands, but there is no need to be rowing the pole at this point. Once you get in the "pocket", actively add pressure on the pole as you whip your right foot down and through to start the swing.

Good potential so far. Best of luck!

spike gibeault
PV Pro

Unread postby spike gibeault » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:56 pm

Thanks so much guys, ive got a lot to work on, im gonna go do some swing up drills (good idea?) on a pull up bar or the gymnastics rings i have in my room. any good drills to help me with a more powerful swing? i have been doing leg swings on a pull-up bar with leg weights on, is that a good one?
"My biggest fear is my lack of fear."-Mat Hoffman

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:38 pm

If you have ankle weights, i think you are better off doing slow and controlled straight leg lifts on the pull up bar. Start with no weight, and depending on your core strength add some weight and try to do sets of 10. I dont know where you are in core strength right now, but the more the better. You might also start stretching your hip flexors every night before bed. The farther you can get into your inverted C, the faster your swing will be. So if you do a lunge on your ground and put your hands up to simulate your inverted C, just breathe deep to stretch all the muscles that you do in your C. Hold for like 30 seconds on each side. Combine that with sets of bubkas on rings and eventually high bars and you should see your swing get faster and stronger.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:51 pm

First of all, very appropriate music selection. Loved it. Vaulterboy mentioned a tuck and shoot concept that you're sort of applying... if you want to vault per Petrov, keep your trail leg straight until your into the 'basket' postion, then break it and bring it over your head. You're breaking your trail leg at the chord of the pole. Instead of breaking at your trail leg here, break at the hips and continue towards covering the pole. Good vaults overall though! You should definitely be able to get up to 14' by the end of spring if you keep your leg straight for longer.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”