Mid Mark Chart

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Sun May 04, 2008 8:51 pm

heres what I do to set up the rundrill on the track. Either find a white line that goes across the track like a finish line. Or draw one with chalk or use tape across four lanes. Then take a small pole and measure down it length from the top of the pole and measure 5 feet. Then pull off about 18 inches of athletic tape and put it on the pole running down the length of it. Now measure 5'3" on the tape and mark it. Then write 5'3" at the mark. Then measure down from the top of the pole 5'6" and do the same. Then 5'9" and 6'0" and do the same. Now you have a measuring stick to lay out the lanes. Go to the mark that goes across the track and lay the pole down with the top of the pole at the mark going across the lanes. lay it on one of the lane lines. Now make a mark on the edge of the lane at the 5'3" mark. now move the pole until the top of it is at the mark you just made. Now look where the 5'3" mark is on the pole and make another chalk mark on the track. Repeat until you have 7 marks on the track including the one going across the track. Now go to the second lane and repeat theprocess using the 5'6" mark. Then do the same in the next two lanes using the 5'9 and 6'0 marks. So now you should have 4 lanes marked with the last 6 strides showing in each and each being a little longer than the previous one. So to get your starting point in each lane do this: Go to the first land (5'3") put your tow on the last mark you made in that lane. Pick your pole up and run away from the marks accelerating as fast as you can. have some one catch your 3rd left. mark that spot. No you have one completed lane. This is a 6 left pole run. Now go to the next lane and run back from the last mark 4 lefts and mark where the toe hits. Now you have a completed lane for 7 left pole runs. Go to the next lane and run back 5 lefts and go to the last lane and run back 6 lefts. the drill is to run 5 reps in each lane. Count down as you run each lane. So the first lane you'll count six when your left foot hits the ground the first time. Start by putting your right foot back and raising your left toe off the ground. then Push Out hard and accelerate until you reach number 4 in your count-down. Then just try to get your feet down as fast as you can and jump up and extend your arms at the count of one!! You can practice all of the approach mechanics including good pole drop mechanics and take off mechanics....There's more but this should do for now....Let me know how it works and if you can send a video that I can critique...
Coach Job

Here is the description of a fantastic running drill ladyvolspvcoach gave me. It works really well

Also about a vaulter being shorter and how his height effects his stride length... I've been told that height does not effect the stride length. Instead it's the speed and energy you build up from the run. The midmark chart is designed so that no matter what height you are, if you build enough energy and speed in your run to grip a certain length on a pole, the the chart will indicate your optimal midmark.

to the coaches, please correct me if I'm wrong!

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Sun May 04, 2008 10:37 pm

if you build enough energy and speed in your run to grip a certain length on a pole, the the chart will indicate your optimal midmark

i think it worked pretty much that way. but for it to work with all heights the stride has to be diffrent, because a shorter vaulter plants farther away from the box... but this shorter distance between mid and plant can be compenstated by shorter steps at the end?

thats my guess

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Sun May 04, 2008 10:41 pm

I forgot to include that, the takeoff mark should be shifted back a little bit if you're shorter, so I always move my midmark back the same amount to compensate.

I'm not sure if you should make your stride lengths any shorter in order to compensate for this, but maybe dj or ladyvolspvcoach can clarify.

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

MIds

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Mon May 05, 2008 4:31 pm

About stride lengths and a vaulters height...it doesn't matter. It's about the energy you put into the run. My 6' tall high school athletes use the same rundrills as my 5' college women. In fact one of my college ladies has faster strides using 6' stride lengths for their last 6 strides and can hold higher.

As for the take off positions and relative mid marks, DJ (I don't mean to speak for him) doesn't like to mess with the numbers, but I took my 5' vaulter and had her grip her 13' grip and found her take off. Then I took one of our 6' trainers and grip the same 13 ' and found where his take off would be. His take off was exactly where the chart indicated. My lady vaulter was exactly one foot further out. So do I move her mid out??? No! I encouraged her to get her feet down faster and make sure she incorporates a penultimate.....

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:26 pm

I thought if a vaulter was shorter, then their mid should be closer because of shorter strides, even if it's only a few inches. Right? Shouldn't the math work out to be so that she's a couple inches under 44'?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

mid

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed May 07, 2008 10:36 pm

we need to understand the sex and size don't effect the stride length!! get it right!!

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Thu May 08, 2008 8:57 pm

Good morning

Let me make a critical and important point concerning the “MIDâ€
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri May 09, 2008 2:26 pm

good morning

could i get everyone to look at the 18-6 clip of mike tully that was posted on the manifesto...

How's this run??

Do the vaulters of today run like this? better? different?

What would you change on this run???..

What do you want to change on your run???

Do you want to run like this?

by the way mike was not near the fastest vaulter of his time.. after some work he was no longer the slowest..

and to put this more into perspective... he was 6-4 and 195lbs and used "MID's" that matched the chart.. in practice if he was gripping lower he would move his "MID" in accordingly.

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Fri May 09, 2008 2:51 pm

For convenience, here is a direct link to the video of Mike Tully dj is referring to.

- master

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Tue May 20, 2008 11:08 pm

powerplant42 wrote:I thought if a vaulter was shorter, then their mid should be closer because of shorter strides, even if it's only a few inches. Right? Shouldn't the math work out to be so that she's a couple inches under 44'?

This seems obvious doesn't it? The reason they have the same speed with shorter steps is because they have a higher cadence (steps per second).
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

agapit
PV Follower

Unread postby agapit » Tue May 20, 2008 11:13 pm

dj wrote:
[/b]

by the way mike was not near the fastest vaulter of his time.. after some work he was no longer the slowest..

and to put this more into perspective... he was 6-4 and 195lbs and used "MID's" that matched the chart.. in practice if he was gripping lower he would move his "MID" in accordingly.

dj[/quote]

If he gripped lower would he have to bring in his whole run up? I have a chart for that. -4" grip -1' run up or something close to it.
there is no spoon... www.m640.com

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

mid

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Wed May 21, 2008 7:09 am

I thought if a vaulter was shorter, then their mid should be closer because of shorter strides, even if it's only a few inches. Right? Shouldn't the math work out to be so that she's a couple inches under 44'?

Actually, If you understand the chart then the shorter the vaulter the further OUT the mid and take-off SHOULD be. However, Try in every way to keep the mid as close to the chart as possible.....and through this dialogue it becomes extremely clear that run dynamics and the chart are sorely missunderstood!!

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”