what different models are out there

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:55 pm

ashcraftpv wrote:remember, the "petrov model" is a series of things and not just a single idea. All things start with the pole carry and approach, which leads to the plant, take off, swing, etc.... You can only do something well if you've correctly executed the preceeding step.

Identify the shortcomings in his vault as a whole, then start from the beginning and address the issues in order.

this is a great way to word it. i know that if i hit my take off well, then i can swing and cover the pole. when i miss my take off, i get hung out, and am forced into a tuck and shoot. unfortunately at the moment, i miss my take off more than hit it... grrr
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:55 am

QUOTE "i think that maybe we need to get a discussion on how to use the power vaulter model and maybe hear form peopel that have had luck with a fusion of the two as opposed to just hearing about the petrov model." QUOTE.

I repeat - there is only one technical model which can be supported by biomechanical analysis. If you want to become a better vaulter, study the Petrov/Bubka model and dont waste your time in pointless discussion of possible alternatives. You can begin the process now or you can continue to waste your time and stand still as a vaulter. Your choice. :idea: :yes:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Unread postby EIUvltr » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:18 pm

altius wrote:QUOTE "i think that maybe we need to get a discussion on how to use the power vaulter model and maybe hear form peopel that have had luck with a fusion of the two as opposed to just hearing about the petrov model." QUOTE.

I repeat - there is only one technical model which can be supported by biomechanical analysis. If you want to become a better vaulter, study the Petrov/Bubka model and dont waste your time in pointless discussion of possible alternatives. You can begin the process now or you can continue to waste your time and stand still as a vaulter. Your choice. :idea: :yes:

Altius, I've noticed on numerous occasions you've backed the Petrov model as being the most efficient/effective model out there (usually compared to the "power vault") proved by biomechanical analysis. However, as a skeptic and a student of biomechanics and the pole vault, I'm dying to know where I can access these biomechanical studies you mention. I own your book but there is nothing written in the way of a scientific article you may find in the Journal of Physiology. Were different vaulters hooked up to portable electromyography machines? Or were there certain devices used to prove that the Petrov model was more efficient in using the energy created in the run throughout the airborne portion of the vault? I also wonder if you believe there are possible technique variations we have yet to discover that could theoretically improve upon the Petrov model, or do you believe we have reached the point where the perfect technique is known, and now we have to strive to achieve it.
"If he dies, he dies"

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:35 pm

hey

there should be only one true model.. and the petrov/bubka model is as close as it gets if you interpret the movements properly...

i'll try and get some more thoughts on here than i have written over the last few weeks..

but the point needs to be made this model has evolved over time... the continues chain model so to speak... since fiberglass was intoduced... from john pennels generation through tom telez, including the european vaulters through volkov and then a line of french.. then bubka.. etc

and the model does follow the line of physics... application of force.....

more later

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:36 pm

Why does everybody always have to augue against Alan's point. Proof in the pudding is one word BUBKA. I find it very strange that those that question the Petrov model insist on seeing the hard facts and research that Alan put into writing the "how to" book called Beginner to Bubka. Bottom line is, Altius did the research, he wrote the book based on the research. It outlines how to do the Petrov model, the model, which by the way, holds the worlds record. There's probably only one better authority on the model than Altius, and that would be Petrov himself. Last I heard, Petrov isn't on PVP. So just read and learn and quit arguing with Alan. All it does is stir him up. Later.............Mike

vaulter870
PV Great
Expertise: Current Club Cocah, Current College Vaulter, PV Addict!
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby vaulter870 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:00 pm

ok now that we have established that the petrov/ budka model is the best can we get back to how to ease a vaulter into this?? i know that i need to start with the approach and go from there but anhelp would be appreciated!
If you cant do it right , do if 10000 more times till you can

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Unread postby EIUvltr » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:09 pm

souleman wrote:Why does everybody always have to augue against Alan's point. Proof in the pudding is one word BUBKA. I find it very strange that those that question the Petrov model insist on seeing the hard facts and research that Alan put into writing the "how to" book called Beginner to Bubka. Bottom line is, Altius did the research, he wrote the book based on the research. It outlines how to do the Petrov model, the model, which by the way, holds the worlds record. There's probably only one better authority on the model than Altius, and that would be Petrov himself. Last I heard, Petrov isn't on PVP. So just read and learn and quit arguing with Alan. All it does is stir him up. Later.............Mike

That would be like yelling at Petrov 20-some odd years ago for questioning the power vault, and using Billy Olsen's WR as evidence of it being correct. Questioning and testing theories is what allows us to improve on what we already know. If everyone thought like you, we would still believe the world is flat.
"If he dies, he dies"

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:09 pm

That would be like yelling at Petrov 20-some odd years ago for questioning the power vault, and using Billy Olsen's WR as evidence of it being correct. Questioning and testing theories is what allows us to improve on what we already know. If everyone thought like you, we would still believe the world is flat.[/quote]

i totally agree.good point!
On a whole new level 6-20-09

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:37 pm

tuff point, but the evidence in more world round vaulters jumping higher, and more consistently, with the petrov model
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

OUvaulterUSAF
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter and then some
Lifetime Best: 5.27m
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby OUvaulterUSAF » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:51 pm

vaulter870 wrote:ok now that we have established that the petrov/ budka model is the best can we get back to how to ease a vaulter into this?? i know that i need to start with the approach and go from there but anhelp would be appreciated!

Conditioning, Drills, short running on soft poles while introducing concepts of the model, then incrementally raising his/her grip and increasing pole flex as the vaulter's confidence builds.

I spent more time on conditioning between Aug and Oct than I've ever done. Then I went to the incremental approach to build my confidence up and reinforce good habits. I do the inversion drills every other day (3 sets of 5).

For all the nay-sayers...
I started transitioning to the Petrov Model Oct 05...this picture was taken of me in Dec 06 which I feel is the point where I finally got 70% of the model down pat...at least the free take-off part. There's no fast way to do it, I set a goal of 1.5 years.
Up until the summit, I still thought there was some sort of pulling with the arms during the whip/inversion but received clarification from Altius that there was not...just one hellaous leg swing. So now i'm back to a short 4/5 left (basically starting over) approach to take this amazing take-off and implementing a dynamic whip/inversion.

What I'm saying is it doesn't happen over night. That picture was the first time I took off from 14' and it didn't feel like I could get in at all. Then I got used to it over the next couple weeks in Dec and now 13'6" feels a little under to me.

Here are the facts for me:

College PR using tuck/shoot/power/speed: 17'3" gripping 15'9" with a 9 left approach. Biggest Pole Flex: 17.6 (16' pole)

Post College PR using concepts from Petrov: 16'5" gripping 14'9" with a 8 left approach. Biggest Pole Flex so far: 18.0 (16') and it's still almost too soft. (someone said I put about 4" on 17'1" with this same grip)

Although the height isn't there I'm getting in on bigger poles holding lower (I'm not as fast as in college)

I've converted to the Petrov model with out a coach and I'm a huge proponent of the model. I'm not saying it's the perfect model but I believe it's the best one we've got out there.
wo xi huan cheng gan tiao.

captainfalcon43
PV Fan

Unread postby captainfalcon43 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:24 pm

that definetely looks like a free takeoff
Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:43 pm

ill agree, that take off looks excellent!
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”