Push Plant technique

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Britdawg,

I am curious: Is there inconsistency with different runway surfaces with the push? I would imagine mondo to all-weather would change your approach length?

PS... Impressive. That may be a women's push plant record? Anyone confirm or deny?
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:35 pm

SlickVT wrote:PS... Impressive. That may be a women's push plant record? Anyone confirm or deny?

Britni's 4 meters is the women's record.

When I pushed the pole, I did not find the runway made a significant difference in my run length. I felt more friction on the indoor black roll out runways, and I felt like I could fly when the runway was wet haha.

BritDawg
PV Whiz
Expertise: Club Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Current Vaulter

Unread postby BritDawg » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:11 am

ditto to Becca's response about the runways. My run was pretty much the same every single meet. And as for the runways, the indoor roll outs were a little bit harder, but not enough to make a difference. We've experimented with duct tape and even taping strips of aluminum from coke cans on the tips while vaulting on the roll outs in Reno, but we found that we were having to replace them each vault so we decided it wasn't worth dealing with, and it didn't make enough difference to bother.
Isaiah 40:31

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:08 pm

Im curious...
When using this technique, what happens to your stride length? Im assuming it increases, but what else happens to the run itself?

If you judge from day to day whether to use the HHM or a regular pole drop based on conditions, won't you have to learn what both models feel like and be prepared to use both on a particular day? I think it would be better to take the precious practice time you are using to learn what both runs feel like, and apply that time to one or the other so you won't have to switch.

I dont know, i think Tye has the right idea with sticking with HHM to experiment. He is using the same model every meet, regardless of conditions. Since 95+% of what happens in the air results from what you do on the ground and how you set up your take off, isnt it better to learn one way or the other and stick with that, rather than switch back and forth for different meets, forcing yourself to vault two different ways? It just seems like it would mess with your muscle memory and instinctive movements by using two models during the same season.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

BritDawg
PV Whiz
Expertise: Club Coach, Former High School Vaulter, Former College Vaulter, Current Vaulter

Unread postby BritDawg » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:08 pm

I guess you misunderstood. I never switched back and forth. Once I started pushing the pole, I never carried again in any meet until I got to college and my coach wanted me to try for a couple of meets. What we were meaning by knowing how to do both is that if you happen to get to a meet where there is a lip on the box or a crack in the runway or something that would prevent the pole from sliding down the runway, it would be ok to carry the pole in that case. But, we never practiced both. Those of us that started pushing the pole had oringinally learned how to pole vault carrying the pole so it wasn't a big deal to carry it for one meet if we had to. But like lonestar said, there was only one meet he's ever been to that that happend.
Isaiah 40:31

tony
PV Beginner

Unread postby tony » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:17 am

What I think is that we should get Tye Harvey to discuss what he is doing with the HHT. I have asked him to write something more but he may need more encouragement from some of you.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:00 am

Tito is one of the original members of this board. I wonder if he still knows his log in.

tony
PV Beginner

Unread postby tony » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:31 am

Call him and let's get the party started

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:27 am

Recent video of Tito pushing (sliding) the pole: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAx9m4Evulc

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:35 pm

Wow, thats freakin awesome...
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

VFG
PV Newbie

Unread postby VFG » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:24 pm

Tye who can generate more speed by sliding the pole along the runway reasons that the extra speed will translate into extra height.

is this generation of speed a perception or has this actually been a calculated analyzed measurement of pure runway velocity?

I'd like to see some tests done on several athletes to see comparisons between the two models
Vault. For. God

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:34 pm

VFG wrote:
Tye who can generate more speed by sliding the pole along the runway reasons that the extra speed will translate into extra height.

is this generation of speed a perception or has this actually been a calculated analyzed measurement of pure runway velocity?

I'd like to see some tests done on several athletes to see comparisons between the two models

Tye spent years at Bell Athletics where they have a speed trap. I don't know for sure, but I feel confident that he has run both ways through the speed trap and is basing his statements off data from that.

I will email him and find out for sure. I would love to see how the numbers compare.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”