how far do you feel comfortable running from...

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

how far do you feel comfortable running from...

Unread postby TreyDECA » Sat May 10, 2003 3:50 pm

i run from 6 lefts cause i can't handle anything farther back... i get out of control and lose focus i guess. if i had it my way, i'd be running from 4 or 5 lefts but 6 seems to be getting easier. i was just wondering cause i know in some meets i see guys 120 feet back there and i'm running from 86'. how do you stay relaxed knowing you've got to wait an extra 5 seconds to get to the box?
8700... mark it down

das_1971
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, bum
Lifetime Best: smthing lo
Favorite Vaulter: Don Pablo Espanol

Unread postby das_1971 » Sat May 10, 2003 4:44 pm

I use either a 5 or 6 left run too. I keep my 5 step slow and work my last step and height at takeoff. My 6 step is just balls out. They end up being about the same time. on the runway. What size pole are you on holding how high up, and what can you clear with it.

You might not be as efficient on your takeoff as your confidence would like you to be.
Ow

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat May 10, 2003 5:26 pm

I went from 6 lefts forever because in high school that was all I could do. We had a dip in our runway at about 75 feet...

I just really got back to 7 this spring.

Fo_Sheezy
PV Nerd

Unread postby Fo_Sheezy » Sat May 10, 2003 5:55 pm

I have been petty injured this season (achilles tendon) so I can't overdo it when I practice, nor in meets. So, I only go from a 4 step at both, sometimes shorter at practice. I can clear 9'6" on a 4 step which is pretty good cosidering last year from a 6 step I was only clearing 8'. I think I am getting too comfortable with the shorter distances...only 50'7 inches! :)
Hey is that a pole in your hand or are you just happy to see me?

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Unread postby TreyDECA » Sat May 10, 2003 8:49 pm

das_1971 wrote:I use either a 5 or 6 left run too. I keep my 5 step slow and work my last step and height at takeoff. My 6 step is just balls out. They end up being about the same time. on the runway. What size pole are you on holding how high up, and what can you clear with it.

You might not be as efficient on your takeoff as your confidence would like you to be.

i know i'm not as efficient as my confidence would like me to be. but i'm not being confident in my abilities. just confident that one day i'm gonna figure this stuff out and keep getting better.

i use a 4.90m pole 16.7 flex from 6 lefts. i hold right under 15'1" on it. i went 16'8.75" in indoors with that and 5.00m in a decathlon at UT. (same pole)

i'm starting to get a more productive takeoff now. especially in the last few weeks in practice. i'm getting better at putting my foot underneat my hips at takeoff and staying relaxed and tall. hopefully my practice concentration will one day carry over into a meet.
8700... mark it down

Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'

Re: how far do you feel comfortable running from...

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:33 pm

It all depends on your skill level at the time and how u run. If you are someone who accelerates quickly a short run will do you just fine. Also if you find you are slowing down towards take off you need to work on continuing running or go to a shorter run. A 5 or 6 would be good to use. Once u get to where you can jump over your handgrip a 7 or 8 step and learning to run with a rhythm to continue to accelerate nearing and during take off.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:42 pm

Trey,

What do you do for long jump? I looked at the first footage that came up on youtube (your 7.83 at Berlin in '09), and you looked pretty balanced there... Looked like a lot more than 6! Why do you think you have trouble translating that run to the vault?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Sat May 26, 2012 6:08 pm

I am a fan of 8 or 10L. I used to feel the same way, the further back I was the more uncomfortable I was, but I've gotten my run to feel pretty comfortable now, and long runs feel better. I think what helped me was a focus on running tall and comfortable from the start. Making my first few steps powerful, yet tall helps me to be and feel a bit more consistent. Even though my run gets sloppy sometimes, I think the taller and more relaxed first few steps hep me to feel more comfortable coming into the last few steps, even if I'm too close or stretching. By the way, when I say relaxed I don't mean slow or necessarily boundy. Come out hard, but stand up tall, drive the knees up, add turnover as you get closer to the box.
-Nick

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun May 27, 2012 2:15 am

powerplant42 wrote:Trey,

What do you do for long jump? I looked at the first footage that came up on youtube (your 7.83 at Berlin in '09), and you looked pretty balanced there... Looked like a lot more than 6! Why do you think you have trouble translating that run to the vault?

His post here was from 2003...

Andy_C
PV Pro

Unread postby Andy_C » Sun May 27, 2012 8:47 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
powerplant42 wrote:Trey,

His post here was from 2003...

Just noticed that haha!

I would have just moved from California to Australia back around when this thread started!

-Andrew
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun May 27, 2012 10:35 am

Oh shoot all I saw was "May 10th"... :o
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”