speed

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
foreverforum8
PV Wannabe
Expertise: high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 12'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: mark hollis

speed

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:17 pm

What are the best drills/things to do to increase runway speed? i dont have a coach so please dont tell me to ask him lol thanks in advance

foreverforum8
PV Wannabe

Re: speed

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:46 pm

44 people whith no responses? lol

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:32 pm

hey

Approach run on the track... with the pole planting into a towel..

follow up with me

davidfjohnston@yahoo.com

and i will give you some "speed' warm-up drills and the correct way to set up your run... length-steps etc...

how high are you jumping? age... etc..

follow up on here also as well as email so everyone can share the information..

dj

foreverforum8
PV Wannabe

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:45 pm

im a junior jumping 13' and when you say towel you mean just unfolding a towel and planting on top of it?

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:01 pm

there is an instruction tape/dvd by Aaron Moser put out by MF Athletics on how to improve speed. i believe it is excellent and have used it for several years for all my jumpers.

P.S. I receive no monetary kick back if you purchase this tape. Will certainly be glad if it helps you vault higher.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:51 am

I suggest that until you find a coach you make no attempt to increase your speed. Pole vaulting and driving a car are very similar -the faster you are going when something goes wrong, the bigger the smash. :crying:
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

foreverforum8
PV Wannabe

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:21 pm

altius wrote:I suggest that until you find a coach you make no attempt to increase your speed. Pole vaulting and driving a car are very similar -the faster you are going when something goes wrong, the bigger the smash. :crying:

by you saying that your basically saying dont try to get any better....i probably wont have a coach all of hs

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:59 pm

"by you saying that your basically saying dont try to get any better....i probably wont have a coach all of hs",

Sorry about that old son. What I am saying is that pole vaulting is POTENTIALLY dangerous under any circumstances, without a coach to provide sensible advice it becomes much more so.
Take up long jumping or better still triple jumping - that is an event where hard work can pay off -and if you make a mistake you wont get killed. :(

foreverforum8
PV Wannabe

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:11 pm

Alright so ill let my track team down and we wont have a single pole vaulter compete in the meets....which i might add is close to a 20 point swing making it damn hard to win a single track meet. keep in mind we have a state championship from last year but now we will turn into a s*** track team. all of this because someone could get a little scrape..... driving is very dangerous. thousands of people die from cars. so let me ask you. do you drive? if you do are you gonna stop because i told you its dangerous?

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:00 pm

foreverforum8 wrote:Alright so ill let my track team down and we wont have a single pole vaulter compete in the meets....which i might add is close to a 20 point swing making it damn hard to win a single track meet. keep in mind we have a state championship from last year but now we will turn into a s*** track team. all of this because someone could get a little scrape..... driving is very dangerous. thousands of people die from cars. so let me ask you. do you drive? if you do are you gonna stop because i told you its dangerous?

That sums it up but just think on this old son. In twenty years time - no make that ten - no make it next year - nobody will remember the results of the state championship - but your parents will remember you and visit your grave if you manage to kill yourself. Just a thought - if the points for the vault are so important to the team why doesn't your school find you a coach??

Yes I drive - I have driven Big Sur and the Monaco corniche along with the Alps and the Rockies in winter - but I have made it to the age of 78 - because I am very aware of the potential dangers and do my best to avoid them! :D

vquestpvc
PV Whiz
Expertise: 30 years
Favorite Vaulter: Stacy Dragilia

Unread postby vquestpvc » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:32 am

Attend any high school dual meet, invitational or state meet and see where most of the falls and injuries occur. It isn't in the pole vault. Most track injuries occur in the hurdles! And, the triple jump is extremely stressful on young knee joints. So, should we get rid of the hurdles and triple jump? Gum should also be eliminate then since one could potentially choke to death while chewing it; heaven forbid don't run and chew gum. Sarcasm has two sides to it.

The fact of the matter is pole vaulting is still a track event. It is also known, however, that most track coaches are not knowledgeable in teaching proper technique in the vault. That is certainly no excuse! But a fact. Pole vaulting has been and to some degree is still a self taught event or taught by preceding vaulters to a next generation. But unlike most track events, there seems to be more camaraderie at the pole vault. Vaulters are very willing to share what they know with one another. Having coached multiple events, there have been few times when the high jumpers or shot putters gather to discuss their events and technique. Which brings me to my point. I don't believe the pole vault is as difficult an event to learn contrary to what some individuals would have you believe. For years women were excluded from pole vaulting. However, since their inclusion, I believe they are the best thing to happen to the event. Prior, the event was seen more as one that required great strength to be successful. But since women have been vaulting, it should be more apparent that there is tremendous developed skill and technique involved.

Of course whenever you're in the air there is a potential for injury and that should be respected. However, understanding a few basics will make it safer. All coaches who have some expertise in the pole vault started somewhere learning the event and so can any athlete. Technical Information regarding the pole vault is readily available. For example, every high school track coaches' library should include the textbook and DVD entitled "Beginner to Bubka and Isabiyava too" (sp).

So foreverforum8, I applaud you for making an attempt here at PVW to become a more proficient vaulter. I'm not aware of a hurdling web site so, be very careful when considering that event (oh, by the way, that was also sarcasm). And yes, one can spend a lifetime trying to avoid potential dangers or, one can spend a lifetime having faith that an accident will only happen because it was meant to be.

foreverforum8
PV Wannabe

Unread postby foreverforum8 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:57 pm

altius wrote:
foreverforum8 wrote:Alright so ill let my track team down and we wont have a single pole vaulter compete in the meets....which i might add is close to a 20 point swing making it damn hard to win a single track meet. keep in mind we have a state championship from last year but now we will turn into a s*** track team. all of this because someone could get a little scrape..... driving is very dangerous. thousands of people die from cars. so let me ask you. do you drive? if you do are you gonna stop because i told you its dangerous?

That sums it up but just think on this old son. In twenty years time - no make that ten - no make it next year - nobody will remember the results of the state championship - but your parents will remember you and visit your grave if you manage to kill yourself. Just a thought - if the points for the vault are so important to the team why doesn't your school find you a coach??

Yes I drive - I have driven Big Sur and the Monaco corniche along with the Alps and the Rockies in winter - but I have made it to the age of 78 - because I am very aware of the potential dangers and do my best to avoid them! :D

I am very aware of the dangers of pole vault and do my best to avoid them also...i have made it through 2 years of vaulting without getting hurt and hopefully many more to come because i wont be quiting or staying at the same competition level

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”